3912 Georgia Ave., NW
English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors are part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving parents and their young children in Washington, DC. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
The core adult education program is comprised of three highly integrated areas of study: English, parenting, and digital literacy. The curriculum prepares students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to navigate their community as effective parents, employees, and citizens. Briya also offers workforce development programs for advanced students who wish to pursue career-ready certifications.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
The ESL Instructor position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop daily ESL lesson plans and weekly parenting lesson plans that adhere to the ESL Standards & Curriculum with fidelity. Plans will follow best practices in instructional design by including objectives, instructional activities with differentiated instruction, and assessment, all of which are appropriate to the skill level, needs, and interests of the students in the program. Utilize effective strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process, incorporating contemporary tools, technologies, and resources.
- Design authentic learning experiences for students to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective workers, parents/family members, and citizens. Evaluate students’ progress and curriculum’s effectiveness through regular assessments.
- Plan and implement Parent and Child Together (PACT) Time activities (including field trips) with other Briya staff. Plan parenting classes at appropriate instructional levels that prepare parents to be their child’s first teacher during PACT time and at home.
- Integrate the Equipped for the Future Standards, Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) Competencies, CASAS Content Standards, Common Core State Standards, and College and Career Readiness Standards into goal-setting and instruction.
- Teach Adult ESL Education classes in a two-generation setting, integrating ESL, digital literacy, parenting, and PACT instruction. Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate, actively supports teaching and learning, and implements the curriculum with fidelity.
- Utilize effective teaching strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process. Meet the needs of students at risk of academic failure or students not making reasonable progress toward achieving school and personal goals; this may include one-on-one support, pull-out classes in other languages, and referrals to Student Services.
- Track and evaluate student progress in ESL using CASAS. Use assessments and evaluation data to monitor student learning, instructional effectiveness, and instructional decisions. Provide ongoing, informal assessments to provide increased instructional opportunities. Assist with the coordination of data collection.
- Provide a safe and orderly learning environment in the classroom.
- Meet individually with families three times a year for Student-Teacher Conferences to discuss the families’ goals and progress. Complete Family Follow-up Forms with all adult learners in the class.
- Work with Briya Coordinators to plan and prepare the supplies needed for ESL, PACT, and parenting classes.
Student Support & Other Duties
- Provide information and referrals for families regarding social, health, legal, and educational resources and opportunities available in the area. Refer students to Student Services Coordinator as needed.
- •Assist with student recruitment, student registrations, and special events such as graduation and other school-based celebrations.
- Supply information and data needed for reporting and work with the monitoring teams who visit the school.
- Participate in all staff meetings, training's, and retreats.
ESL Instructors must have the following knowledge, skills and/or abilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education, special education, or related field.
- Minimum two years of teaching or related experience and knowledge in the fields of adult education, special education, parenting, and/or early childhood development.
- Excellent communication skills in both English and Spanish. Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic also highly valued.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Windows, Smart Board Technologies, and Google Apps for Education.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment – Mostly in a typical classroom or office setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Enrollment at Briya PCS is typically between 20-40 students per class
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required