8050 35th Ave. NE
About the Organization
Seattle Audubon leads a local community in appreciating, understanding, and protecting birds and their natural habitats. Seattle Audubon is Washington State’s oldest environmental organization and recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. We maintain a current staff of 14 and reach a local membership base of approximately 2,900 households. Our strategic plan, Seattle Audubon 20/20: Sharpening our Focus, has articulated growth in all program areas – environmental education, volunteer-powered citizen science, urban habitat conservation, coalition building, and engagement.
Seattle Audubon is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to increase public awareness of Seattle Audubon by developing and executing effective communication and media relations programs that raise our organizational profile. As a member of the Seattle Audubon management team, the Communications Manager will coordinate with colleagues on public relations activities across the organization in order to develop and implement a comprehensive, organization-wide marketing and communications plan. Success in this role will require a skilled communicator with a commitment to strategy development, execution, and evaluation. Evening and weekend work will occasionally be required. This position is based at Seattle Audubon’s offices in Northeast Seattle, in a highly collaborative environment. Seattle Audubon’s new strategic plan was developed with an organization-wide lens of equity, inclusion, and broad engagement. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and other talented applicants from historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Summary of Responsibilities
Work closely with the management team to develop comprehensive marketing and communications plan to accomplish the following objectives:
- Develop Seattle Audubon content strategy to grow targeted communication plan focused on the following stakeholders:
- Press Outreach — Grow external media relations efforts to secure high visibility placements in print, broadcast, and online media. Leverage existing organization contacts and create new relationships to drive awareness for Seattle Audubon
- Community Engagement — Drive staff collaboration on outreach efforts to Seattle Audubon volunteer and donor community, including website, social media, print newsletter, and monthly e-newsletters; Pursue additional vehicles designed to attract new Seattle Audubon advocates
- Center of Expertise — Create original content to be leveraged in press releases, byline articles, and keynote presentations, collaboratively with Seattle Audubon program managers.
Develop marketing and promotions plan to generate incremental revenue to the organization:
- Develop marketing outreach programs that align with the Seattle Audubon-driven mission to compel members and the public to take action to help achieve strategic plan
- Design marketing and promotions that increase the reach and use of Seattle Audubon’s engagement experiences including The Nature Shop, Nature Camp, classes, trips, and education kit rentals
- Work with the development department to grow membership in the organization
- Build relationships with other communications staff at partner organizations, public agencies, and the broader community to build awareness of Seattle Audubon offerings
- Maintain an understanding of industry trends affecting Seattle Audubon and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
- Monitor, summarize, and share communications and marketing impact and results
- Oversee and/or execute, as appropriate, the production of additional print materials including brochures, flyers, event invitations, etc.
- Proven experience with communications planning and strategy development
- Able to communicate effectively and articulately, including exceptional writing and editing skills
- Ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, and delegate effectively
- Skillful use of Microsoft Office required; graphic design expertise in Adobe Creative Suite highly preferred
- Solid experience with social media, especially Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism, advertising, public affairs, or a related discipline
- Experience with basic HTML and/or WYSIWYG web editing
- Knowledge of email marketing tactics and systems similar to and/or including MailChimp
- Strategic thinking, political acumen, and a personal commitment to Seattle Audubon’s mission
- An understanding of environmental justice concepts and a demonstrated commitment to constructive efforts to expand Seattle Audubon’s diversity, equity, and inclusion priorities
- Comfort working in a highly collaborative, shared work space
- Must be able to travel locally
- Positive energy, collegial focus, and the ability to maintain good humor under stress
- Available to work evening and weekend hours as required
- Familiarity with environmental issues; knowledge of birds a plus
- Experience, comfort, and tact in broadcast and print media
- Strong existing relationships with Seattle media outlets and contacts
- Knowledge of video editing and/or photography highly desired
Competitive salary, sick and vacation time, and full benefits (health, dental, vision, retirement) are included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, design sample, and writing sample as one (1) combined electronic PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5PM PST on Monday April 30, 2018. No phone calls please.