The Simons Foundation is a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City by Jim and Marilyn Simons. With an annual grants and programs budget of $300 million, the foundation's mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
The foundation pursues its mission through its grant-making division, comprising programs in Mathematics & Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Education & Outreach and autism research, and through its internal research division, the Flatiron Institute.
The President and Vice President for Special Initiatives are seeking an enthusiastic graduate student to intern in the winter and/or spring of 2018. Ideally, candidates will be available for 10-15 hours per week for a period of 8 - 10 weeks.
The intern will support key foundation projects, including ad hoc initiatives that involve multiple departments or functions, and will gain exposure to a variety of operational and administrative matters. The intern will also assist with researching and preparing the President's and Vice President's reports, presentations, and other formal communications.
The intern will assist with a number of special projects including an archive project. As Simons Foundation is now over 20 years old, the organization has commenced a foundation-wide archiving project. As part of this project, the foundation will document the historical giving of the founders. This will include a review of all gifts made by the founders, electronic documentation of gifts with highlights of outcomes, and creation of a digital archives of the founders' giving.
- As directed, researches, drafts, proofreads, and/or edits documents, reports, presentations, correspondence, and other materials for internal and external audiences.
- Supports the development of communications and materials for meetings initiated by the President.
- May attend selected internal and external meetings and events with the President and Vice President for Special Initiatives; tracks and manages assigned tasks and ensures appropriate follow-through and issue resolution.
- With the assistance of the foundation's Communications, Civic Affairs, and other groups, prepares updates summarizing recent and upcoming key foundation activities, as well as news items relevant to the foundation's mission and operations.
- Assists with special projects, including a digital archive project.
- Promotes a positive organizational culture, setting an example for others by modeling the President's transparent, collaborative work style in in all interactions with internal and external constituents.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree required; must be currently enrolled as a student pursuing a Master's degree.
- Experience working in a foundation, university, or other nonprofit organization.
- Project management experience preferred.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Well-organized with high attention to detail.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including composition, proofreading, and editing; strong presentation skills preferred.
- Ability to lead and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office products in a Mac environment.
- Excellent judgment, strong interpersonal abilities, and a customer-service orientation.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the position.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/s74xpvhb64vbt4ff"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vXlkZMLszmDJ6UqbAun1yK">
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply