1325 4th Avenue
Position: Development Coordinator
Reports to: Annual Campaign Director
Status: Full time/Salaried
Starting date: Open until filled
About the Campaign for Equal Justice:
The Campaign for Equal Justice (Campaign) is our state’s annual fund drive for civil legal aid and the fundraising program of the Legal Foundation of Washington (LFW). The Campaign raises funds primarily from the legal community to fund 23 legal aid providers across Washington. In 2017, the Campaign raised $1.6 million and our network of grantees provided 30,000 low-income families with legal assistance. Unlike criminal cases, the Constitution does not guarantee legal assistance in civil cases. Without help, 500,000 low-income people each year must navigate complex legal issues on their own. Too often, individuals do not realize their issue could be solved by an attorney. As a result, many lose their families, homes, or livelihoods.
The Campaign started in 1991 and merged into LFW in January 2016. The Campaign raises funds for immediate needs and systemic change. LFW was established in 1984 by the Washington State Supreme Court to administer Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts, known as “IOLTA,” and until the stock market crash in 2007-08, this was a very good revenue stream. Other revenue sources for the Foundation are cy pres (residual funds from class action law suits), an annual disbursement from the Endowment for Equal Justice, and occasional grants from national and local funders.
POSITION SUMMARY: As an employee of the Legal Foundation of Washington, the Development Coordinator will work closely with and support the Annual Campaign Director, Chief Development Officer, and Campaign board members by maintaining donor database, coordinating fundraising and stewardship events, and providing administrative support to raise funds for the Campaign. The Endowment for Equal Justice is a sister organization to LFW and is in the midst of the Reach 20 Initiative to raise $5 million by 2020 to bring the Endowment corpus to $20 Million. The Endowment and the Campaign share development staff and all staff work together to achieve fundraising success.
Development Administration & Communication (20%)
· Coordinate donor appeals and mailings with staff and print/postal vendors (8 mailings per year)
· Support Campaign Director in board and donor communications
· Assist in scheduling donor meetings and donor meeting preparation
· Ensure immediate follow up after donor meetings
· Prospect and donor research
· Support communication efforts on Social Media and MailChimp
· Provide other administrative, logistical, and development functions as needed
Manage Donor Database (Little Green Light) (40%)
· Process donations (mail, online, lockbox) and pledges on a daily basis
· Organize and code donations appropriately (with staff accountant & campaign director)
· Generate and send thank you letters weekly
· Generate donor lists for campaigns, appeals, events, and moves management
· Maintain current lists of supporters in database (MailChimp, boards, law firms, grantees)
· Upload and input new donor data quickly post-events
· Clean and maintain donor records in database monthly, and as needed
· Enter donor contact reports
· Reconcile donor database monthly with accounting department
Event Coordination (40%)
· Support all fundraising and stewardship events (15-20 per year including one large annual luncheon)
· Track and support guest registration
· Coordinate catering, supplies, signage, and work with vendors as needed
· Support event communications and invitation design with Campaign Director
· Track sponsorships in LGL and follow-up on pledges post-event
· Ensure immediate follow up with guests pre- and post-event
· Manage event wrap up, gift processing, thank you letters, and pledge reminders
1. Experience coordinating events of various sizes
2. Demonstrated ability to organize own work, coordinate projects, set and communicate priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments with minimal direction
3. Excellent time management skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at once
4. Strong planning skills, high attention to detail, and comfort working with numbers and data
5. Experience with donor data system Little Green Light (LGL) a plus
6. Strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably interact with donors, board members, and new people
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Word
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion
9. Bachelor’s degree or two years fundraising experience in fast paced environment
10. Commitment to working for an organization dedicated to equal justice for all
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is $40,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefits package includes Medical and Dental insurance, Flexible Spending Plan for healthcare and childcare spending, an ORCA pass, Life and long-term disability insurance, three weeks of vacation, an optional 403(b) retirement savings plan and after one year employees are eligible to enroll in pension plan.
Excellent benefits package includes Medical and Dental insurance, Flexible Spending Plan for healthcare and childcare spending, an ORCA pass, Life and long-term disability insurance, three weeks of vacation, an optional 403(b) retirement savings plan and after one year employees are eligible to enroll in pension plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
The Legal Foundation of Washington does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, age, disability, social class, sexual orientation, religion, or other diversity factors. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.