2103 Assistant Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa Region (MENA)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States | MENA | Full-time
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Assistant Program Officer (APO) will assist with the management, administration, development and expansion of grant programs in the Middle East and North Africa. In addition, the APO will support existing grantees and develop prospective grantees. The Assistant Program Officer (APO) will assist in the vetting of proposals and the monitoring and assessment of grants; draft analytical and descriptive material for internal and external offices; track political developments in assigned countries; and provide programmatic support to senior staff.
- Assist in the assessment and management of grants.
- Assist in tracking administrative and program budgets.
- Assist in the review of grant applications.
- Assist in the management of a portfolio of grants, including preparation of materials for review at quarterly board meetings.
- Coordinate and engage with other NED departments to further team priorities.
- Maintain regular communication with grantees, other civil society organizations, and contacts in the region.
- Monitor grantees in the field through desk research and periodic travel.
- Travel to the region as needed, and occasionally under difficult conditions, to identify and work with potential new grantees and existing grantees.
- Provide general programmatic support for senior staff in the fulfillment of the Endowment’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required; advanced degree or equivalent knowledge in international affairs, politics, or a related discipline preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in democracy-related work is required.
- Experience in grant-making and democratic development is desirable.
- Proficiency with MS Office is required.
- Other Qualifications:
- In-depth country or regional expertise.
- Familiarity with civil society issues and knowledge of civil society organizations and individual activists in the region.
- Significant in-country work experience, study, or travel.
- Fluency in Arabic is required (reading, writing, and speaking); proficiency in other relevant languages of the region is preferred.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (fluency) are required.
- A high degree of organization and initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, international office environment.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. In addition, please also attach a document containing 2-3 paragraphs in Arabic, which introduce you and summarize your interest in the position.
Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.