Part Time Temporary
Details: Compensation for this entry-level part-time position is $20 an hour, for 15 hours a week. This is a one-year position with the possibility of extension.
1301 Connecticut Ave, NW
Who we are:
The Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) is a progressive think tank dedicated to building a more equitable, ecologically sustainable, and peaceful society. We believe progress occurs when people and movements come together to act on powerful ideas based on equity, peace, and the protection of our planet. Since 1963, we have been challenging corrupt power structures that undermine a true democracy. Today, we are uniting people and movements around real, transformational change through independent research, networking across issues, and visionary platforms.
IPS is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and other groups that have historically been subject to discrimination.
We are looking for a Communications Assistant who will help expand the reach of our our transformational, intersectional, movement-building work.
Who you are:
You share IPS's vision and want first-hand experience in the role of strategic communications in advancing social justice.
- The ability to take vague or complicated concepts and communicate them concisely, effectively, and accessibly
- Broad familiarity with current events and progressive issues
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Careful attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and manage and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with the AP style guide
- A working knowledge of WordPress or similar CMS
- Experience in media relations, and prior experience writing or editing for publication are a plus
- A Bachelors in journalism, communications, public relations, or other related fields a plus
What you’ll do:
- Under the supervision of the Media Manager, help implement communications plans for engaging with IPS audiences
- Work closely with the communications team and IPS issue experts on content writing and proofreading
- Update IPS website content
- Keep track of media hits and monitor media
- Assist in building press lists
- Research media platforms, like podcasts
- Have the opportunity to author original op eds or blog posts and draft newsletter content
- Other general communications tasks as needed
What you’ll get:
You'll be part of a team of smart, sharp communications professionals working together to increase our reach and widen the audience for our work. We work alongside IPS's nationally renowned policy experts to ensure our research and analysis are reaching key decision-makers, and more and more people are educated with our game-changing ideas.
Compensation for this entry-level part-time position is $20 an hour, for 15 hours a week. This is a one-year position with the possibility of extension. We are looking for someone available to start between June 16-June 30.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply:
Please send in the following materials in a single PDF to email@example.com with “Communications Assistant” in the subject line:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in communications work and any related experience
- Your resume
- Three references
- A writing sample not exceeding 2 pages in length. We prefer non-academic papers, perhaps a blog post, or a press release.
Please submit materials by Friday, June 1, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.