Brooklyn Defender Services is accepting applications for a Lead Investigator to work in the Homicide/Major Felony Unit. The Investigator will work as part of the defense team assisting defense counsel and the client throughout all phases of the criminal prosecution.
BDS is currently seeking an experienced investigator to become an integral part of the Homicide/Major Felony unit of the Criminal Defense Practice. The investigator will be assigned to these serious cases from the onset and work with the defense team to gather all relevant evidence necessary for the defense of the case. The investigator will meet with the client and the attorney at the inception of the case and develop a strategy for the investigation of all facets of the case including, crime scene evidence, video surveillance, social media surveillance, following news or media coverage, photographing relevant scenes, individuals or items, locating and interviewing both defense and adverse witnesses, conducting background checks on police and other witnesses in the case, meeting frequently with the client and family to gather evidence or leads as the case progresses, coordinate witnesses schedules for trial testimony and be prepared to testify at the hearing or trial of cases if necessary. As part of the defense team the investigator will attend meetings with the attorney to discuss strategies for the case and provide input when meeting with witnesses and experts in the case. The investigator with also participate in meetings with the Homicide/Major Felony Unit to discuss all aspects of the practice.
Applicants must have a minimum of four years of experience in the field of investigations. Applicants who have worked in the field of law enforcement or who have extensive experience in criminal defense investigation are encouraged to apply.
A candidate for appointment must demonstrate that he or she has:
· The ability to work as part of the defense team in a client-centered practice, and maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained while working on the case;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
· Ability to get information from witnesses, including difficult and sensitive witnesses;
· Ability to think creatively about all facets of a case and follow leads wherever they may take you;
· Willingness to work outside normal hours when necessary to interview witnesses or follow up on leads in a case
· Computer/technology and social media literacy;
· Basic understanding of scientific and forensic evidence such as fingerprint, ballistics and DNA evidence
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Defender Services is accepting applications for a Lead Investigator to work in the Homicide/Major Felony Unit. The Investigator will work as part of the defense team assisting defense counsel and the client throughout all…