702 H Street, NW, #300
District of Columbia
The AP Accountant’s primary responsibility is to administer the Accounts Payable and Expense Reimbursement systems, manage the AP function from data entry to payment processing, and perform all AP-related accounting tasks and general ledger reconciliations as directed by the Controller. Basic role of this position is to serve as the main point of contact between the Finance Department and staff, assisting, guiding, and training employees in the use of the two legacy AP systems. Greenpeace processes a high volume of Accounts Payable transactions on a weekly basis on two outsourced platforms, Anybill, and Expense Watch (EW). External vendor invoices, bills, and Credit Card charges are entered into Anybill/EW by the responsible staff person and then processed through a workflow chain. The AP Accountant is responsible for facilitating the process, and prepare the data for entry to the accounting system and further analysis.
- Manage data entry into Anybill or EW by staff, or directly assist staff with data entry, of all vendor invoices, direct debits, certain internal expense reimbursement reports, advance requests, and Credit Card charges.
- Review all Anybill/EW entries for proper coding, documentation, timeliness, routing, and adherence to GP financial policies.
- Monitor Anybill and EW to ensure timely processing of vendor payments and employee expense reimbursements, stale check register.
- Administer Anybill and EW focusing on for proper vendor set up and list maintenance, updated approval and authorization routes, and accurate account, cost center, and project code set ups
- Implement and promote financial rules and procedures and train staff on the use of the platforms and proper processes.
- Run status reports on Anybill and EW and communicate instances of delays or other issues
- Run activity reports from the two systems during monthly closing and draft routine general ledger accounting entries including allocations, prepaid expenses, depreciation and accruals.
- Create aging reports for outstanding employee advances and ensure timely reconciliation. Communicate employee advances which exceed policy to Human Resources to begin deduction from payroll.
- Ensure appropriate accounting for sales and use tax.
- Respond to all vendor and employee requests and administer the Finance Request Tracker.
- Manage the timely and accurate collection of W-9 tax records prior to first vendor payment.
- Ensure timely and accurate 1099 reporting at year end.
- Provide regular communication on work flow status to supervisor and any process improvement suggestions.
- Administer the In-House Deposit of incoming checks daily.
- Assist with annual CO2 reporting to Greenpeace International.
- Maintain accurate and well-organized vendor files.
- Other duties as assigned by the Controller.
Other aspects of the opportunity:
An ideal candidate will take full ownership of the responsibilities of this role with an interest in expanding his/her knowledge and job responsibilities. In addition, we are looking for someone who can be described as:
- Willing to perform any other job-related duties as assigned
- Willing to develop, assist and maintain productive relationships with colleagues across the Greenpeace world
- Bachelors in accounting with bookkeeping experience is preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Highly motivated with a willingness to learn and to work efficiently and independently
- Self starter who takes ownership of all aspects of the role
- Excellent data entry skills with particular attention to accuracy and proficiency
- Detailed-oriented and analytically minded
- Strong Microsoft Excel (computer) skills and interpersonal communication skills
- Team player with a willingness to perform certain clerical work with a “can do” attitude.
- Experience with Anybill and Expense Watch platforms desired.
- Have a commitment to non-violent direct action, although, we do not require your direct participation in these activities
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan
Commitment to Diversity:
Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Minimum Education Required