Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Litigation Support Specialist serves an important and varied role in supporting case teams in discovery processes and assisting in the creation of organization wide eDiscovery guidelines and procedures. In particular, this role will provide assistance with client legal holds, negotiating document production formats, ESI collection and processing, organizing incoming and outgoing productions, and assisting the attorneys in document review.
This position will be located in Washington, DC or Denver, CO.
Platform Administration and Training (25%)
- Work with Litigation Operations Manager to administer our online eDiscovery/document review platform.
- Provide training and support to litigation assistant and attorneys on our online platform.
E-Discovery and Document Review Support (40%)
- Coordinate with attorney case teams to implement appropriate document review and production methodology, including providing advice on appropriate production formats as well as crafting and refining keyword searches.
- Help coordinate management of case documents, including organization, review and production of documents.
- Perform litigation support duties such as Bates stamping exhibits and hyperlinking PDFs.
- Act as a liaison with information technology and other administrative departments of the Firm as well as vendors.
- Assist case teams with various computer and technology issues, specifically data conversion and importing and exporting production load files.
E-Discovery Project Support (20%)
- Assist Litigation Operations Manager in preparation of various standardized procedures, guidelines, and materials.
- Participate in presentations and training on various litigation support topics.
- Stays current on the rapidly changing technology developments relating to litigation support and eDiscovery.
Operations Project Support (15%)
- Works with Litigation Operations Manager in other areas of operations including litigation readiness, deposition and trial support, and information governance.
- At least four years of related experience and a thorough understanding of the requirements and procedures involved in litigation support and eDiscovery.
- Bachelor's degree preferred but not required.
- Excellent communication, organizational, writing and interpersonal skills; strong service orientation and ability to developing effective working relationships.
- Experience with Ringtail, Concordance, LiveNote, IPRO, or other similar litigation support and ediscovery software tools is required.
- Ability to work under pressure and to facilitate solutions; a self-starter with minimal supervision required.
- Willingness to work additional hours or shift working hours to help others with deadline intensive projects; timely and regular attendance is required.
- Willingness to occasionally travel as needed to other offices and trial sites.
- Ability to work very independently, yet respond positively to and coordinate carefully with a direct supervisor housed in a distant location.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Experience with importing database load files, including troubleshooting import issues, and with creating production load files.
- Ability and desire to learn and adapt to new software and systems.
- Highly value compliance, ethics, and maintenance of information integrity.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to spot and fix errors.
- Courteous, professional and helpful demeanor, possessing of a positive attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work amicably with various departments and offices, while still accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines.
- Effective multi-tasking skills as well as an ability to quickly analyze problems, resolve them and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.