A handsome Georgian clapboard building, The Old Manse sits near the banks of the Concord River among rolling fields edged by centuries-old stone walls and graced by an orchard. From upstairs, you can look out over the North Bridge, where the famous battle of April 19, 1775, took place. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Nathaniel Hawthorne both called the Manse home for a time – and each found inspiration here. Emerson would draft his famous essay “Nature” from an upstairs room, and Hawthorne would write a tribute to the homestead calledMosses from an Old Manse. Hawthorne and his wife, Sophia, started their married life here, and you can still see the poems they wrote to each other, etched on the Manse’s window panes. The heirloom vegetable garden, which has been recreated today, was originally planted by Henry David Thoreau in honor of the Hawthornes’ wedding.
Summary of Position:
The Guest Services Associate is a part-time position reporting to the Old Manse Guest Services Coordinator. The Guest Services Associate is responsible for greeting and assisting visitors, selling tickets and processing sales of merchandise and Trustees memberships.
- Greeting visitors and assisting them with museum orientation and purchases.
- Overseeing tickets sales for individual visitors, groups, and members.
- Safeguarding daily receipts and strictly accounting for funds.
- Membership promotion and sales.
- Answer phones – assisting callers and checking messages.
- Take suggestions and field questions to appropriate departments.
- Keep informed of special events and group program schedules.
- Be flexible and able to think on your feet providing the best service possible to guests.
- Maintain a neat, clean and inviting reception area.
- Operate cash register, process sales, count and balance drawer.
- Know the Old Manse’s history, website, and exhibits.
- Know the Core Values, Mission Statement and Vision of the Trustees of Reservations.
- Specific store and other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent education and related experience.
- Experience working in retail or other customer facing position preferred.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to run a cash register; possession of basic math skills required
- Excel and word processing experience preferred
- Must be able to see, speak and hear effectively
- Expected to alternatively sit, stand, walk at least 6 hours daily
- Must be capable of climbing stairs several times daily
- Must be capable of operating equipment: computer, fax, scanner, copier, and telephone
- Flexibility to work weekends required
- A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI)
Reports to the Old Manse Guest Services Coordinator; has no direct reports.
Indoor work environment, with occasional outdoor events; requires ability to stand for long periods of time.
Please note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
Our seasonal staff plays an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits and Salary:
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at The Trustees' website