Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 35th Anniversary, we are looking for an energetic, passionate and dedicated Counselor for our Out of School Youth Program (OSY). OBT’s OSY program works with young adults, ages 17-24 in an effort to help them obtain their HSE or other recognized credential and to train them in the business skills necessary to obtain employment or advance to college. Reporting to the Director of Youth Programs, the Counselor is responsible for four general areas including: Outreach, Intake & Assessment; Individual Counseling and Follow-up; Small Group Counseling; and Case Records Management and Reporting.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
- Conduct intake assessments with youth applicants to ensure both eligibility and suitability for our program using standard OBT and funder guidelines;
- Where appropriate, refer ineligible and/or unsuitable applicants to other programs and services;
- Maintain an active database of support services and other programs for referral purposes;
- Maintain contact with current and past participants via approved social networking sites such as Facebook, using established OBT protocols;
- Conduct bi-weekly individual counseling sessions with each assigned trainee to ensure adjustment to and compliance with the program requirements and progression within competencies (program goals);
- Conduct group counseling (twice weekly) using a prescribed curriculum that addresses such topics as: time management, managing stress, building self-esteem, effective listening, goal setting, teamwork, adjusting poor attitude, and general life skills;
- Provide daily intervention on disciplinary cases and provide corrective action recommendations based upon program and OBT guidelines; enforce program dress and behavior codes as well as punctuality and attendance requirements;
- Maintain trainee case files and accurately record case notes on a regular basis; enter data into Capricorn and Salesforce in a timely fashion;
- Review trainee evaluations with instructors and discuss trainee progress on a regular basis; along with instructors, develop individual strategies for corrective action;
- Provide ongoing feedback on trainee issues to other staff, including Job Developers and Program Director, especially as it relates to trainee progress and employment readiness;
- Administer and grade the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) to prospective trainees;
- Administer and grade the TABE 10 post-test;
- Follow-up with trainees regarding outstanding required documentation;;
- Assist with any relevant reporting required by contracts;
- Assist Program Director with community outreach and program promotional activities;
- Facilitate the placement of caseload into CUNY Advanced Training Programs;
- Travel to CUNY sites to make mandated visits;
- Conduct orientation sessions for prospective trainees;
- Perform all other appropriate duties as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications: MSW or CMHC required; proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); knowledge of workforce development is helpful; experience working with young adults impacted by trauma, mental health challenges and involvement in the juvenile justice system preferred; must possess the ability to model and maintain a culture of high expectations and high support; Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred; personal initiative and ability to problem solve; excellent organizational and communication skills. Must be willing to do some light traveling.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Competitive Salary and full benefits
- Challenging, fulfilling and fast-paced work environment
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply go to https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA Enter Position code 91STF when prompted.