11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change. To support our mission, we seek an Editorial Assistant to join our team.
Launched in 1962, National Wildlife magazine is the only national magazine devoted entirely to wildlife and habitat conservation in North America. Published by the National Wildlife Federation, it reaches more than 410,000 readers with award-winning articles about wildlife and habitat conservation, gardening for wildlife, connecting people with nature, wildlife watching and photography, current conservation challenges, the latest in wildlife research and behavior, and other timely issues.
Candidates should have a passion for wildlife and habitat conservation and a background in science or environmental journalism. This position allows opportunity for growth in all aspects of magazine production, including print, online and digital.
Scope of Work:
- Reporting and research as background for National Wildlife articles
- Report and write Working for Wildlife items about NWF and its affiliates
- Write and contribute to online extras (articles, blogs, photo archives, etc.)
- Produce social media posts related to magazine content (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Assist with special NWF projects (annual reports, books, media kit, etc.)
- Proofread magazine content and help build a magazine style guide
Design and Production
- Work with Senior Production Manager to learn Adobe InDesign software and assist with magazine layout, production and release.
- Work with Online Editor to learn Sitecore software to help create online edition, additional content, archiving, and special online projects.
- Work with Photo Editor to learn photo research techniques.
- Assist with magazine organization, file clean-ups, reader correspondence, contributor correspondence, updating online databases, working with licensing team on photo archiving, etc.
- Track magazine and web analytics.
- Assist with photo purchase orders, help track text and photo budgets, assist with managing the annual photo contest and customer service.
- Help develop a database of local media market contacts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated reporting and writing skills
- Proficiency with social media, Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of AP style
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, and multitask
- Professional, respectful demeanor and ability to demonstrate the values of the National Wildlife Federation, including collaboration, empowerment, inclusivity, mindfulness and mission focus.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, other related publishing software
- Experience developing multimedia content such as audio, video, story mapping
- Bachelor’s degree in science or journalism.
- Some experience working with print or digital publishing—preferably with a focus on wildlife, nature, science or conservation—preferred.
We aspire to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, and religious and political belief. Diversity at the National Wildlife Federation translates into understanding and valuing each other's perspectives.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application. A background check will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume via our career site at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Minimum Education Required