Senior Director, Alumni Relations
- Job posted by Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
Reporting to the Senior Executive Director for Alumni Relations (SED), the Senior Director is responsible for the overall creation, oversight, management, and innovation of the Columbia Alumni Association (CAA) regional clubs (domestic and international), shared interest groups (SIGs), and arts and enrichment related programs. This role will promote the intellectual and social engagement of University alumni on campus, in New York City, and both domestically and abroad. This person will be responsible for collaborating with our various partners including Development, University Events and Programs, Alumni Welcome Center, and school-based alumni relations to develop and execute alumni engagement activities, strategies, and to ensure collaboration and integration of broader CAA strategic initiatives and strategies.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Manages the day-to-day operations of the department and staff, whose primary work focuses on alumni clubs, affinity support, and arts related programming; oversees and manages the adoption of new policies and online platforms to support groups' programming and governance.
· Responsible for helping to identify potential volunteer leaders and develops a volunteer pipeline for future leadership opportunities. Also helps to identify potential volunteer leaders for various roles including club and affinity group leaders, committee members, and volunteers, potential CAA board and committee members, and alumni for volunteer oversight roles to help develop and foster growth and advancement into more senior roles.
· Uses in-house market research findings to develop engagement strategies to cater to audience segments and increase engagement overall and within the various regions.
· Guides the strategic development and implementation of a more robust SIG program, including developing strategic initiatives to engage alumni through CAA, athletic events, and other areas of affinity, to connect alumni across generations and life stages and with current students.
· Leads an effort to analyze and evaluate CAA's effectiveness in reaching and engaging alumni as a key component of the organization's Alumni Lifetime Metrics Analysis (ALMA) initiative and establishes best practices to grow volunteer engagement in club and SIG participation and alumni participation in their various programs.
· Maintains managerial responsibility for a team of regional alumni relations staff (currently nine); provides ongoing performance feedback; ensures timely and accurate completion of project assignments in support of alumni relations initiatives and annual performance goals; successfully partners across various units throughout the alumni and development community to further promote the vision of University Alumni Relations; works collaboratively & independently utilizing innovative and creative thinking in developing the long-term strategic operational plan.
· Ensures all interactions and programs related to the team are of the highest quality and is responsible for maintaining a strong focus on customer service as it relates to all alumni activities. Identifies needs and development opportunities for leadership and shares this information with the VP and SED, and both internal and external constituents as appropriate in order to develop appropriate programs and training opportunities.
· Builds upon existing alumni leadership and development programming
· Responsible for the development, management, and tracking of budgets and expense summaries, helps to manage information systems related to maintaining and updating regional club and SIGs related data and reports
· Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's degree required.
· A minimum of 7-9 years of related experience required.
· A minimum 3-4 years of demonstrated leadership/managerial responsibility required.
· Proficiency in MS Office and working knowledge of desktop publishing required.
· Highly motivated self-starter with strong management, volunteer management, project development, strategic planning, and relationship/client management skills and experience a must.
· Possess a strong grasp of alumni and development technology-related platforms and systems and an understanding of processes and procedures related to those systems.
· Must have extensive experience developing innovative programming, managing alumni events, managing and developing volunteer leaders, and developing programs and providing strategic management to develop future volunteer leaders.
· Must have the unique ability to recognize the needs and interests of students and alumni and the experience and ability to develop curated programs, products, and services to meet their needs.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a high pressure, fast-paced, and time-sensitive environment.
· Have demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including: project management, teamwork, analytical thinking, and client/customer awareness and service.
· Must possess the ability to manage, develop and supervise staff.
· Ability to perform in an ever-changing environment. Be flexible, nimble, prioritize multiple projects, and shifting priorities.
· Possess excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
· Possess a high level of attention to detail and active listening skills.
· Must be able to problem-solve, troubleshoot, and work independently in a dynamic team environment.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a diverse group of administrators and academic leaders.
· Must possess strong negotiation, issue resolution, and influencing skills.
· Must possess a passion for excellence through customer service and a commitment to exceptional quality.
· Advanced degree preferred. Experience in higher education setting preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge and/or prior experience with alumni relations programming in a university setting, knowledge of managing alumni programs and volunteer development, as well as an ability to strategically develop programs, products, and services to meet those needs is preferable.
Level of Language Proficiency
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Minimum Education Required