MRG is the leading international human rights organization working to secure rights for ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities and indigenous people around the world.
We are currently looking for a new Legal Programmes Assistant to join our London team. This is a part-time role working 3 days a week (with possibility of increased days depending on funding).
Salary is on our E grade payscale (£24,618 per annum full-time equivalent)
The main purpose of the job is to help MRG achieve its mission to realise the rights of minorities and indigenous peoples round the world, through providing an efficient administrative support service to a team of 3-4 people who use litigation, legal empowerment and other advocacy working with minority and indigenous communities.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Provides administrative and general assistance to members of the legal team.
• Assists in planning projects and programmes.
• Assists in building advocacy projects and strategies especially around African mechanisms to protect human rights
• Assists in organising and preparing external meetings (mostly international), including logistical arrangements and background materials.
• Attends and helps facilitate programme meetings, workshops and training sessions where appropriate.
• Contributes to the monitoring and evaluation of programme activities.
• Assists in making travel and accommodation arrangements, including flights, hotels, visas, insurance etc. for department colleagues, partners and visitors.
• Liaises with project and programme partners as requested.
• Assists in reading, commenting and checking on financial and narrative reports submitted by partners on project activities.
• Helps draft, format and submit fundraising applications and donor reports, including budgets and expenditure reports.
Translates correspondence between French and English to facilitate communication between partners, contacts and non-French speaking MRG colleagues.
For full details of Job Description and Person Specification please visit our website at Minority Rights Group.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Minimum two years’ experience of administrative and/or secretarial work.
• Minimum two years’ experience of making logistical arrangements for meetings and events (preferably international)
• Good knowledge of Word, Excel, database use, e-mail and the internet.
• Excellent written and spoken English and French.
• Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, organise and prioritise own work and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work on own initiative and also under pressure.
• Experience of setting up and maintaining filing systems.
Experience in advocacy especially in the context of African mechanisms to protect Human rights
• Good letter writing skills
• Good numeracy skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Commitment to the work, aims and objectives of MRG.
• Working knowledge of human rights and minority rights issues.
For details of full Job Description and Person Specification please visit our website at Minority Rights Group
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All candidates must submit their completed MRG Application Form, together with the Equal Opportunities Form to the email address provided. Please note that we do not accept CVs.
Please visit our website for all details.