About Swords to Plowshares
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides counseling and case management, rapid re-housing and eviction prevention services, employment and training, supportive housing, and legal benefits assistance for low-income, homeless and at-risk veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. Swords to Plowshares promotes and protects the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state and national entities. Learn more about the work of Swords to Plowshares, and ways in which you can help, by visiting our website at: https://www.swords-to-plowshares.org/.
Licensed Vocational Nurse – Safe Haven
Reporting to the Program Manager, the LVN is responsible for the delivery, coordination, and supervision of the clinical nursing services delivered to Safe Haven program participants.
Safe Haven is a low-barrier, transitional housing program for veterans with histories of homelessness, substance misuse and mental health challenges. Residents are not required to participate in treatment, but treatment options are available onsite. Swords to Plowshares manages the Safe Haven project at a former SRO hotel San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood. This is a VA funded project and is staffed 24/7 hours by clinical and program team employees.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides direct nursing case management services to residents as required to include accompaniment to offsite appointments
- Provides, on a daily basis, nursing oversight of the delivery of care to maintain quality services in their place of residence
- Maintains necessary medical documentation and reports to relief staff
- Engage with residents weekly to ensure veterans are connected with medical resources and are following through with treatment plan goals
- Acts as resource to the staff regarding medical issues that arise, i.e. with providers
- In coordination with program staff identifies team educational needs and coordinates educational programs
- Support residents’ overall wellness, with a focus on activities of daily living and nutrition
- Assist with residential program-related responsibilities such as meal preparation, conducting wellness checks in addition to answering the door and phones.
- Other duties as assigned
- Coordinates with providers for delivery of services; such as, pharmacy, durable medical equipment, medical supplies
- Monitors the residents’ documentation for compliance regarding controlled medications and/or any medications stored by the facility
- Ensures compliance with Federal and State regulations for the delivery of clinical nursing care within a residential facility
- Attends and participates in staff meetings
- Coordinates with community resources as needed
- Participates in Quality Improvement and Utilization Review Activities
- Current California LVN license required
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing preferred
- At least 2 years of residential facility experience working as professional nurse
- Experience with population impacted by mental health, substance abuse, homelessness
- CPR certification required
- Valid California?driver’s license and clean DMV record required
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations and accreditation standards?
- Knowledge and understanding of Medicare, Medi-Cal, and VA insurance benefits
- Must be able to work well under pressure meeting multiple priorities and sometimes competing deadlines
- Strong organizational and development skills?
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to assess and respond to needs of patients
- Ability to collaboratively work as part of an interdisciplinary group, as well as work independently and problem solve in crisis situations?
- Ability to provide education to staff of varying levels of education
- Employee must be able to carry out the essential duties of the position within what can be considered reasonable accommodation
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities and be comfortable working with an at-risk client population, including embracing the agency’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiative
Salary & Benefits
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Swords to Plowshares offers a generous benefits package including the following benefits:
- Excellent medical and dental packages
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- 17 vacation days in the first year
- 12 holidays every year
- Wellness program