Details: The hourly compensation for this positions is $50.
The Math Instructor (also referred to as Math Instructional Coach internally) teaches a mixed-education level group of currently enrolled CEO participants, giving them the necessary information to prepare themselves for vocational training in the areas of construction trades including carpentry. The Math Instructor will teach evening classes for participants 5 days a week Monday through Friday from 4PM to 9PM.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 5,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Kresge Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, and the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
The Nitty Gritty
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the job functions required for this role.
- Recruits participants for trades training classes.
- Prepares Phase I Lesson Plan inclusive of Math curriculum.
- Presents enthusiastic, well-prepared, organized, and clear lectures in Math and interactive classroom activities following the CEO course syllabus.
- Proctors the TABE test for eligible students.
- Administers pre-/post-test and quizzes for Phase I.
- Maintain at least a 65% graduation rate.
- Monitors and records participants' class attendance. Enters weekly attendance and test results into CEO’s computerized case-management system, Salesforce.com, as well as Progress Reports in Phase I and Phase II of the trades training.
- Provides encouragement, constructive feedback, and one-on-one tutoring and counseling to participants related to their educational goals, challenges, and progress.
- Consistently and accurately documents all participant contact into Salesforce.com
- Works to connect graduates to union entry by assisting with applications.
- Maintains contact with Hostos Community College--Instructor(s) and Hostos Continuing Ed Contact-- about participant performance and attendance.
- Performs other job-related duties and responsibilities that will be assigned from time to time.
- Record participant attendance and participant interactions daily in Salesforce with 100% accuracy.
Who You Are
- You’re computer literate with 2-4 years experience in math instruction and group presentation.
- Experienced working with mixed education level group.
- You are comfortable with adapting trends and changes to present life in the classroom.
- You possess great public speaking skills and excel at classroom facilitation.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- You’re organized and able to prioritize your workload.
- You're available to teach evening classes Monday through Friday.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your application materials, including a resume and cover letter, using the link provided. Please note: our application portal is optimized for use with Google Chrome.