826 New Orleans seeks a visionary Director of Development & Communications who can lead the charge in building a comprehensive fundraising strategy for the long-term advancement and sustainability of our organization and the students we serve. The Director of Development & Communications oversees all aspects of our Development Department, including the design and execution of a comprehensive fundraising strategy that focuses on securing the resources our students need to thrive. This will include planned campaigns around annual and major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, endowments, and special events. We are looking for a results-focused, committed individual who has a passion for creative writing and educational equity.
The Director of Development & Communications reports to the Executive Director and is supported by the Development Team. The Development team consists of one Development & Communications AmeriCorps VISTA member and a volunteer development committee.
Resource Development (75%)
- Develop and execute annual and multi-year fundraising plans, including individual and corporate giving, grants, and special events, to meet organizational goals;
- Participate as part of the organization’s leadership team in the development and management of the strategic direction for 826 New Orleans, and integrate the team’s work to support the organizational vision and mission;
- Direct the creation and execution of major appeals and fundraising events including cocktail parties, dinners, peer-to-peer fundraisers, benefit shows, larger annual events, and virtual events
- Evaluate and analyze the existing development program and implement effective changes to increase overall development performance;
- Oversee preparation of high-quality grant proposals and reports and meet all deadlines;
- Manage the donor database and ensure the accuracy of donor records;
- Develop and cultivate relationships with donors and key-decision makers;
- Supervise development staff, contractors, and volunteers in supporting the development department with grant applications, databases, and events;
- Provide assistance and leadership to the Executive Director to build and maintain long term relationships with donors and to cultivate effective, meaningful relationships with prospects that result in measurable results;
- Guide the board, staff, and volunteers in development best practices;
- Attend staff meetings, monthly 826 National Network Development Director calls, 826 National Communications calls, development committee meetings, and other professional development workshops;
- Coordinate the development and production of collateral materials related to fundraising campaigns, events, programs, and activities;
- Update relevant sections of 826 New Orleans publication materials, including website;
- Work collaboratively with the Programs team to articulate their work and set goals;
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Manage 826 New Orleans social media channels, newsletter, and print collateral;
- Provide strategic direction for 826 New Orleans communications strategy;
- Coordinate 826 New Orleans community outreach strategy.
Experience & Qualifications
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of 826 New Orleans;
- At least 3-4 years of fundraising experience and a minimum of 2 years in a leadership role;
- Respect for youth and their home and school communities;
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences;
- Proven experience and proficiency at developing and maintaining a large number and wide range of relationships, both externally and internally in an organization;
- Ability to self-motivate, work independently, and lead a team;
- Enthusiastic and creative problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to successfully address challenges and make decisions in alignment with strategic organizational objectives;
- Proven organizational, prioritization, and project management skills;
- Proficient with computer applications—a thorough understanding of Google Applications, Microsoft Office Excel, and donor development software (Salesforce and basic data analysis experience preferred).