Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury, and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision-making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies, and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building, and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Vital Strategies' intention is to add expertise in drug strategy, with a specific focus on overdose prevention. We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Media Communications Manager for the Overdose Prevention Program (OPP). Vital Strategies is funding projects and providing technical assistance tailored to the overdose epidemic on the ground in specific U.S. states. We are assisting local partners in reforming policy, innovating programs, and mobilizing communities at the neighborhood, municipal, county and state levels. Our work is expanding to include additional states, and we are hiring staff to manage that expansion.
Drawing from public relations, digital communications, and advocacy experience, the Media Communications Manager will collaborate with the program communications team to write, design, and execute publicity, media, and other communications strategies to advance the Overdose Prevention Program. This position will help to seek opportunities to raise the visibility of Vital Strategies’ Overdose Prevention Program and its goals, activities, and impact through high-quality content.
The position is based in New York City, and the salary range is $73K-$85K (salary flexible and commensurate with experience). The candidate much have eligibility to work in the U.S. at time of hire. Some domestic travel will be required for onsite engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Write and edit compelling content including press releases, case studies, fact sheets, briefings, statements, newsletters, blogs, and op-eds.
· Develop pitches and assist with securing media placements in target media outlets.
· With guidance from the Director of Communications, proactively establish and nurture relationships with journalists and maintain a media database.
· Support interviews, workshops, events, press briefings, and other press and media engagements to advance the initiatives’ mission with regional, national, and international media
· Track communication activities, and prepare, and submit PR reports.
· Assist with pitching speakers and program submissions, planning and managing publicity events, and other thought leadership opportunities for the Overdose Prevention Program.
· Support the development and revision of general promotion material and publications (brochures, web content, and toolkits, fact sheets, one-pagers), and other collateral material.
· Assist with designing and developing digital content and help manage Overdose Prevention Program microsite.
· Collaborate with the Director of Communications to build and nurture relationships with state and local governments, grant-funded partners’ communication directors, and other key stakeholders to stay informed on initiatives, activities, proactively identify milestones, support press and communication strategies, and track/follow-up on media impact.
· Apply an intersectional racial justice framework in planning and executing program communications initiatives
Education and Degree -
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related area of study.
Required Skills and Abilities -
· Outstanding writing skills with sample press releases, blogs, Op-Eds, and/or short essays
· Excellent communicator, both written and oral
· Experience using Microsoft Office software suite
· High social media affinity and experience working with social media management platforms
· Self-motivated, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
· Ability to work independently and with others
· Demonstrated understanding of drivers of racial inequities in health and drug policy
Preferred Skills and Abilities -
· Proficiency with content management systems (WordPress, Statamic) preferred
· Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
· Proficiency in HTML and CSS
· Minimum 6 years of professional public relations and communications experience, preferably in public policy
· Previous work experience in public health, social justice, or drug policy and harm reduction
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume via the Vital Strategies Career page on our website. The application deadline is October 4, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Direct application link: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=VITASTRA&cws=37&rid=420
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury, and death. We currently work in 73…