Position: Fund Development Manager
Department: Marketing and Fund Development
Location: Berkeley, CA
Status: Regular, part-time, non-exempt / 30 hours
Salary: Depends on Experience
Job posting date: July 12, 2018
Resources for Community Development (RCD) is a leading regional nonprofit developer and owner of affordable housing. RCD’s mission is to create and preserve affordable housing for people with the fewest options, to build communities and enrich lives. RCD fosters strong, inclusive neighborhoods through strategies that address the health, economic development, education, and housing needs of residents across the community.
Since RCD was established in 1984, our company has developed over 65 properties that provide affordable, high-quality, and service-enriched affordable rental housing to over 2,200 low-income households in the Bay Area. With the critical need for affordable housing and a growing homeless population, RCD is expanding to serve more people with housing and social services as we work within neighborhoods to strengthen the communities where we own properties.
Major Job Responsibilities and Duties
The Fund Development Manager (FDM) helps meet strategic funding goals that will increase our impact on affordable housing, resident services and community development. The FDM reports to the Director of Marketing and Fund Development and is expected to use successful marketing and fundraising strategies to deepen our relationships and increase support for the organization. The FDM represents RCD to external stakeholders, including donors and allies, to help meet strategic fundraising and marketing goals.
Areas of responsibility in fundraising and communications include direct mail campaigns, special events, social media and newsletters, marketing materials, and some grant proposals. They also provide support for proposals and presentations by other staff members. All of this requires frequent collaboration throughout the organization and externally, gathering information to articulate the impact that RCD has in the community to diverse audiences. The following are examples of the job duties.
· Manage fund development campaigns (approximately 50% of time)
- Lead the anniversary event planning and smaller relationship building opportunities, including planning the theme and style, requesting sponsorship and in-kind donations, managing the invitation process from design to the guest list, negotiating contracts, and monitoring the budget.
- Write and produce the annual campaign, including a letter and other appeals to donors and partners.
· Create engaging web-based and print content that supports RCD communications strategies and conveys impact, challenges, and needs (approximately 18% of time)
- Research, write and produce posts to social media channels and the RCD website, create and distribute e-news and print newsletters, and develop other materials that convey our mission and work.
- Maintain photo and story banks of both RCD and external links to materials that can be used in communications.
· Assist in preparing grant applications (approximately 2% of time)
· Support internal marketing and fund development administration (approximately 15% of time)
- Update existing and develop new marketing materials that help tell the RCD story.
- Assist other staff in preparing proposals, presentations and reports.
- Use donor database to enter contacts and track all donations and produce gift acknowledgement letters.
- Provide internal reports based on accurately maintained records for donations, relationship management and contact lists.
· Other duties as assigned, training and participation in company-wide activities (approximately 15% of time)
We are looking for a high-energy, experienced communicator for this position that bridges all RCD programs and departments. Applicants should have at least 3 years relevant work experience in fundraising and creating marketing and communications material, with experience maintaining and tracking systems that support analysis of results. Work experience in areas such as marketing, communications, fundraising, and journalism is required. Applicants will need to demonstrate skills in the following areas:
· Working collaboratively to understand complex programs with the ability to distill the information for a variety of audiences
· Speaking, writing, editing, and proofing skills that produce clear and effective communication for a variety of audiences
· Leading project management of tasks from start to finish, with the ability to complete work independently on multiple projects to meet all objectives on schedule
· Grant writing to private and foundation funders
· Competency in Microsoft Office, database and CRM management, scheduling and posting to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube, and Constant Contact or other email systems. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress is desirable.
The majority of time is spent in a sedentary office environment, though there may be occasional off-site activities that require driving or occur outside regular business hours. Applicant must pass a background screening. Applicant must be able to lift twenty pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RESOURCES FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
RCD offers competitive benefits including: paid vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax flexible spending and commuter check plans; and employer contributions to a retirement savings plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter or email with a statement of what about this job interests you, your most relevant experience and your salary expectation, with your resume and a sample of your fundraising writing to email@example.com. Please reference “Fund Development Manager” in the subject line. Please include all information requested. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.