Movement for Black Lives Operations Manager
Do you have demonstrated commitment to support Black Liberation & Movement building?
Are you experienced in Operations?
Movement for Black Lives
The Movement for Black Lives (M4BL) formed in December of 2014 and was created as a space for Black organizations across the country to debate and discuss the current political conditions, develop shared assessments of what political interventions were necessary in order to achieve key policy, cultural and political wins, convene organizational leadership in order to debate and co-create a shared movement wide strategy.
M4BL is an ecosystem of more than 150 Black led organizations representing thousands of Black people from across the country that have come together with renewed energy, strategy and purpose to articulate a common vision and agenda. Our ecosystem is united by core values and politics that seek to build an anti-capitalist, abolitionist and Black queer feminist future.
The Movement for Black Lives’ budget has grown significantly to meet the needs of the ecosystem and the urgency of this political and cultural moment. M4BL’s donor base now consists of multi-year commitments from diverse funding streams across major individual donors, corporations, private, public and family foundations, trusts, and other assets. In this phase of our growth, M4BL is looking for new staff members to join an expanding finance and operations team.
As an important part of the Finance & Operations Team, the Operations Manager will facilitate the Movement for Black Lives’ work by providing critical operational support by supporting the day to day operations needs of the Movement for Black Lives Fund by (A) Managing Operational Functions (B) Providing Accounting Support (C) Ensuring compliance with security protocols and practices for M4BL (D) Ensuring that all M4BL Finance and Operations files are kept in a centrally‐located and digitally secure location.
The Operations Manager reports to the Director of Finance and Operations.
Movement Ecosystems Disbursements Support
- Work closely with Manager of Resource Solidarity to ensure proper documentation of all disbursements
- In partnership with the Manager of Resource Solidarity manage the movement disbursement process to M4BL members and partners
- Working closely with the Director of Finance and Operations and the Development Manager, support the implementation of a robust and digitally-secure CRM tracking M4BL contracts and contacts
- Help manage M4BL’s CRM, generating reports and analysis as needed
- Provide basic CRM training to staff as needed
Manage Operational Functions
Purchasing and Booking Manage the purchase and inventory of the organization’s computers, equipment, furniture, materials for trainings, and other assets
- Book travel for events with a travel platform working in collaboration with the Director of Finance and Operations and program staff
- Act as point of contact with vendors to secure W-9s, contact information, and remittance information as appropriate
- Submit invoices to the fiscal sponsor
- Act as point person for operations-related IT needs with finance and operations staff, helping to assess needs and manage the ongoing integrity of IT systems as they relate to operations and finance.
- Help secure operations-related IT solutions with the support of the Director of Finance and Operations and other M4BL directors as they relate to operations and finance.
Organization and Compliance
- Maintain the organization’s calendar including but not limited to events, holiday, and payroll dates
- Organize and maintain the organization’s cloud-based files at the staff level
- Maintain files of documents submitted by grantees, vendors, consultants, and contractors by aggregating them in our CRM, and/or other cloud-based filing system
- Manage and maintain digital subscriptions on behalf of the organization
- Support the Director Finance & Operations in ensuring legal and regulatory documents are filed on behalf of the organization and its legal affiliates
Provide Accounting Support
- Gather payment information needed to process bills from vendors
- Enter payment information into accounting system for approval by the Director of Finance & Operations
- Collect and organize the information needed to submit all contracts, process them, and keep track of outstanding invoices and payments, under supervision of the Director of Finance and Operations
- Manage staff and consultant reimbursements per fiscal sponsor’s process and guidelines
- Manage monthly financial reconciliation for all staff credit cards
- Support the DFO and Senior Staff Team in budget oversight, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- Support staff in submitting expense and reimbursement requests on time
Note: The Movement for Black Lives is committed to responding flexibly to changing circumstances and priorities which means that the expectations of every position are dynamic. This description reflects the assignment of essential functions, but does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Personal alignment with the M4BL’s vision and values
- Skilled at time management and project coordination
- Skilled at recognizing challenges, identifying potential solutions, and communicating challenges and solutions with multiple team members
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, partners, and staff
- Grounded and flexible with a high degree of integrity, transparency, and collaborative ability
- Able to pay close and consistent attention to details and accuracy
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet, and cash flow management
- Strong background in managing robust cloud-based storage systems including policy development and day to day management within an active and fluid environment
- Strong proficiency with data management, review, analysis, documentation, and reporting
- Ability to work on a virtual team, in particular, and juggle multiple projects at once while proactively communicating with all in a virtual environment
- Demonstrated reliability, flexibility, and follow-up
- Deep commitment to relationship building, team building, and strategic action
- Demonstrated success in the following is required:
- Work well independently and on a remote team
- Openly and consistently receive and give feedback
- Collaborate on projects and initiatives in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multitask, adapt to changing priorities, and meet daily, weekly, and monthly deadlines
- Creative problem-solving skills
- High degree of integrity and ability to maintain sensitive and confidential data
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and advanced proficiency in Excel
- Fluency with Google apps
- Read and interpret financial documents (balance sheet, income statement and cash flow)
- Proven record of accuracy, efficiency, dependability, multitasking, and attention to detail
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Prior experience working with Social Justice Movement organizations is required
- A minimum of five years of systems and operations experience
- Experience in building out organizational structures is preferred
Equal Opportunity Workplace
The Movement for Black Lives in partnership with its fiscal sponsor the Common Counsel Foundation is proud to be an equal employment workplace. We welcome and encourage job applicants who are motivated to work with us in addressing social injustice and those who have personal experience with injustice. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on any of the follow factors; race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/ or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical including HIV/AIDS, cancer, and genetic characteristics), and genetic information.