Staff Attorney (or DOJ Accredited Representative), Immigrant Survivors Project
- Job posted by Pennsylvania Immigration Resource Center (PIRC)
112 Pleasant Acres Road
The Pennsylvania Immigration Resource Center (PIRC) is a non-profit agency that serves vulnerable immigrants through free legal services, education, and advocacy. PIRC’s Immigrant Survivors Project (ISP) offers victim-centered legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking through a mobile law office model of service delivery throughout Pennsylvania. The Staff Attorney/DOJ Accredited Representative will provide immigration legal assistance, direct representation, education, and outreach to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking in the South Central Pennsylvania region to ensure their access to critical restorative victim services.
· Provide immigration legal assistance and representation to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking leveraging the protections allowed in law through VAWA, T-Visas, U-Visas, and related forms of immigration relief.
· Work in close partnership with local domestic violence/sexual assault agencies to ensure immigrant survivors have access to appropriate victim services.
· Provide referrals and individual advocacy for other community resources and benefits, as needed.
· Provide information to survivors about victim rights, victim compensation benefits, and the criminal justice system.
· Conduct outreach through participation in relevant community, task force, and stakeholder meetings; Maintain and cultivate relationships with program partners, governmental agencies, nonprofit providers, and other stakeholders.
· Assist in the recruitment and mentoring of pro bono attorneys and law students; provide training, technical assistance, and mentoring to volunteer attorneys.
· Participate in PIRC’s legal clinics within the community, as needed.
· Work closely with the ISP Managing Attorney and Executive Director to ensure compliance with contract and grant requirements for PIRC’s Programs.
· Other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Law degree and licensed to practice law or pending application before the bar of any state in the U.S. preferred. Candidates without law degrees who could be eligible to apply for DOJ Accreditation will also be considered.
· Fluency in Spanish (both written and verbal) required.
· Experience with immigration law (particularly in VAWA, T-Visas, and U-Visas) preferred.
· Prior experience working with survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault preferred.
· Passion for PIRC's mission and demonstrated commitment to immigration issues and public interest law.
· Strong sense of personal initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks without extensive supervision.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent legal research and writing skills.
· Ability to travel within multi- county service area to provide services.
For immigrants in our community and in detention, the Pennsylvania Immigration Resource Center (PIRC) provides a unique combination of immigration legal services, advocacy, and education that provide protections to the most vulnerable immigrants in Pennsylvania. PIRC is an experienced provider of free, accessible, multilingual immigration services that empower, protect, and transform lives.
PIRC staff is its greatest strength. At PIRC, staff work in a collaborative environment that encourages the sharing of ideas and victories, no matter how large or small. PIRC offers a comprehensive benefits package including simple IRA, life insurance, generous paid leave, and flexible policies in a reflection of the organization’s commitment to self-care. Members of PIRC are passionate, intelligent, and hardworking individuals all committed to the common cause of providing access to justice for immigrants.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish and English fluency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references and a brief writing sample to Elizabeth Miller, Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to PIRC, Attn: Office Manager, P.O. Box 20339, York PA 17402.