General Job Description
The California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA) is a non-profit organization that promotes environmental stewardship and social responsibility in the California wine industry. CSWA is seeking a Communications Manager who will be responsible for implementation of Communication elements of the Sustainable Winegrowing Program, Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing (CCSW) Program and designated grant projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct regular outreach to participants, vineyards and wineries, and regional associations to promote California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA) workshops, webinars, tools and resources
- Work with the Certification Manager to determine certification communication needs and manage development of certification communication tools, including regularly updating the certification website
- Manage the development and execution of CSWA communications (e.g. newsletter, content on CSWA, Discover California Wines, and Wine Institute websites, Progress Reports and Sustainability Reports, social media, etc. and oversee contractual design work and printing)
- Act as in-house designer by updating design files and outputting content to desired formats
- Assist the Program Director with communication components of grant projects (e.g., design and printing of publications and promotional materials, coordination of consultants, and follow-up on deliverables as needed)
- Manage the California Green Medal Program, including coordinating Steering Committee meetings, coordinating application process and solicitation of sponsors, updating the GreenMedal.org website, organizing the awards ceremony and other related activities
- Work with Program Director and Certification Manger to maintain and update the SWP online system and other participant tracking systems
- Promote CSWA and the SWP by attending/presenting at workshops and events, hosting CSWA booths at events, and drafting articles for trade publications
- Coordinate and execute trade events, develop new and maintain existing trade/consumer materials and communication tools, and identify speaking opportunities
- Serve as a liaison with Wine Institute Communications department and CAWG staff
- Assist with other SWP activities as necessary.
Additional Position Details
This position reports to the CSWA Executive Director and collaborates with staff members from CSWA, Wine Institute and the California Association of Winegrape Growers.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is exempt from overtime compensation.
- At least five years’ experience in communications, public relations and/or marketing preferably within sustainable agriculture, sustainable business, or related field
- Excellent verbal, written and public speaking skills
- Project management experience, including ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, adjust to changes and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with website and database management
- Basic understanding of production, printing, and typography
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Acrobat), Salesforce, WordPress, email marketing services (MailChimp), social media (Instagram)
- Interest in and basic knowledge of wine and the California wine industry
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; advanced degree a plus