Newton Cemetery & Arboretum is seeking an experienced professional in a key strategic and operational leadership role. This is a tremendous opportunity to lead a well-established department in a respected organization. The position is highly visible and regularly interacts with the public as well as upper management and the Board of Trustees to set and establish corporate goals and objectives. The Director will be joining a team of dedicated and professional staff that is responsible for providing exceptional customer service along with the daily care of the historic landscape, active cemetery and accredited arboretum. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, pro-active manager with the ability to work collaboratively and independently. Cemetery or funeral industry experience is preferred but not required as there are many related professional backgrounds that would make a successful candidate for this position.
Established in 1855 as a private, non-profit organization, Newton Cemetery & Arboretum is a premier garden cemetery serving the needs of all faiths throughout the Greater Boston area. The grounds are open to the public daily and offer a tranquil, park-like setting with numerous interment options throughout the beautifully maintained 100 acre landscape.
The Director of Cemetery Services leads the Cemetery’s efforts to provide burial space to customers through its sales and marketing program. The Director also works collaboratively with a team to assist in the planning, design, and development of new interment space by advising on current and future burial space needs, and participating in meetings of the Cemetery Planning Committee.
The Director oversees all service related activities, including the key revenue-generating services of approximately 150 sales, 375 interments, 1,000 cremations, 75 chapel services, and 175 memorial settings annually, to ensure they are running smoothly and efficiently while upholding the Cemetery’s reputation of excellence.
The Director ensures a positive customer experience for all clients and funeral directors, and works to enhance offerings so that Newton Cemetery remains a model for service among other cemeteries. Additionally, the Director oversees the management of the Administrative Department, works closely with the Director of Cemetery Operations and Grounds Staff, and assists the Director of Finance with the annual operating budget.
· As the primary member of the sales team, manage the sales program (non-commissioned) to support revenue objectives.
· Propose new products and programs to meet market demands and remain competitive. Advise on current and future burial space needs.
· Assist with development of marketing strategies and implement practices to maximize a positive presentation of the Cemetery’s products and services.
· Ensure timely and sensitive service to all customers, including Funeral Directors.
· Ensure appropriate staffing and training to provide superior customer service.
· Review, interpret and analyze sales and service data and provide reports to management.
· Manage the customer service and administrative functions to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness.
· Oversee the chapel and cremation program, directly supervising the Chapel & Crematory Manager.
· Foster daily communication between departments, acting as a liaison between the office and grounds’ personnel.
· Oversee the memorial and inscription process.
· Oversee database and records management.
· Implement interpretation of legal issues, rules and regulations.
· Prioritize and set annual project and performance goals for staff.
· Work with management to analyze and control expenditures and improve efficiency, planning, reporting, and information flow.
· Lead efforts to strengthen and expand the Friends of Newton Cemetery programs.
· Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in a related field of study.
· Ten or more years of experience in a similar industry.
· Fluency in English required.
· Experience with Microsoft Office and database management required.
· Ability to lead and inspire staff, acting as a role model with a positive, motivating demeanor.
· Superior verbal and written communication abilities.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to interact with compassion and patience.
· Acumen for understanding maps and plans.
· Ability to prepare and manage budgets.
· Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
Newton Cemetery & Arboretum is seeking an experienced professional in a key strategic and operational leadership role. This is a tremendous opportunity to lead a well-established department in a respected organization. The…
This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefit package including medical and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, group long term disability and group term life insurance, paid vacation, personal and sick time. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefit package including medical and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, group long…
Fluency in English is required.
Fluency in English is required.
Please email a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for references to email@example.com with subject line “Director of Cemetery Services.” All materials should include applicant’s last name in the file name. No phone calls, please.
Please email a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Director of Cemetery Services.” All materials should include…