Details: Contract hourly - $25-$30 DOE Part-time employee - $20-$30 DOE
UURISE (Unitarian Universalist Refugee and Immigration Services and Education, Inc.), is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) advancing justice and human rights for immigrants and refugees. We are seeking a part-time immigration attorney to manage a robust immigration counseling and representation department.
To help build and maintain a team that represents the clients we serve, UURISE actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identification or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, ethnic or religious background, descent or nationality, disability or disease, marital status, pregnancy, age, height or weight, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Services primarily provided in Vista and Chula Vista, CA.
Approximately 20 hrs per week.
Available as a part-time employee position, or long-term contract opportunity
Rate of pay for employee - $20-$25 hr DOE
Rate of pay for contract - $25-$30 hr DOE
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- Licensed attorney in good standing (preferably California).
- 3 to 5 years of immigration legal experience – primarily family and humanitarian
- Fluent in Spanish and English.
- Commitment to UURISE’s values of empowering clients, and providing socially conscious legal assistance and accompaniment to people marginalized by the immigration system.
- Willingness and flexibility to work in a fluid environment with minimal staff support.
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast-paced work environment.
- Desire to work cooperatively as part of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience developing and supervising team members.
- Excellent attention to detail, and organizational and time management skills.
- Interest in a long-term commitment
- Ability to take initiative and direction.
- Conduct intake consultations and provide legal advice primarily on family-based and humanitarian based immigration issues.
- Prepare and file immigration applications and motions, prepare other ancillary forms including Freedom of Information Act requests, draft supplemental statements and briefs, and responses to Notices of Intent to Deny and Requests for Evidence.
- Properly manage client appointments and professional duties to ensure thorough and competent representation of client interests.
- Conduct weekly file review to ensure that all case files and deadlines are managed appropriately as pertains to professional service delivery.
- Conduct legal research to support immigration applications.
- Provide legal guidance and training to case managers and interns.
- Advise the CEO as requested.
Level of Language Proficiency
English & Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter (1 page maximum) and resume (2 page maximum) in 1 PDF document to: info@UURISE.org with IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY POSITION in the subject line.