Details: Compensation commensurate with experience. Includes benefit package.
774 Port Richmond Avenue
Job Title: Lead Organizer
Classification: Exempt, Full Time
Reports To: Executive Director
ABOUT LA COLMENA: La Colmena empowers immigrant workers and their families through education, organizing, culture, and economic development. To this end, La Colmena provides a space where workers learn and assert their rights, develop their leadership and become active members in their community.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Lead Organizer is responsible for empowering members of La Colmena, building campaigns as well as developing and executing a strategy to grow membership and raise visibility and engagement among Staten Island employers and community at large.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Working collaboratively with La Colmena staff and members, the Lead Organizer will:
- Develop, implement and coordinate La Colmena’s leadership development vision through base building and grassroots organizing activities
- Communicate with members through organizing meetings, one on ones and phone calls
- Recruit new members by conducting outreach activities on street corners, parks and other open spaces
- Recruit potential employers by implementing outreach strategies on and off Staten Island
- Develop and maintain volunteer and intern program
- Build alliances with labor, faith, and other community partners
- Identify immigrants and workers rights issues and develop campaign strategy and activities in response
- Experience in and commitment to labor and community organizing
- Passion for social and economic justice, particularly with regard to organizing and empowering low-wage immigrant workers and their communities
- Familiarity with popular education and other leadership development practices
- Effective and culturally competent interpersonal and communications skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Ability to work flexible hours, including mornings, evenings and weekends
- Empathetic, inspiring, and creative
Compensation commensurate with experience. Includes benefit package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in written and spoken Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest with the subject line "Lead Organizer" to email@example.com.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; new parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.