Field Canvass Director
Ohio Citizen Action
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) seeks a Field Canvass Director to lead the organization’s field outreach program. For decades, OCA has made millions of front porch visits across the state, educating members of the public on issues concerning consumers, public health, and the environment; empowering Ohioans to participate in the right of democracy. The Field Canvass is responsible for the year-round effort of building rapport within communities, organizing political actions and recruiting new members into the organization.
Campaigns currently include, but are not limited to: work to de-carbonize the electricity sector, and promote clean and renewable energy in Ohio; lead OCA’s grassroots and community engagement efforts within the Power A Clean Future Ohio campaign; and represent the organization in local and statewide efforts to support utility shutoff moratoria, in particular during the pandemic.
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA), is the premier grassroots mobilizing and organizing team in the Midwest. OCA organizes and mobilizes people to advocate for public interests. In person, by phone, and online, we engage people in actions that protect public health, improve environmental quality, and benefit consumers.
The Field Canvass Director works to recruit, hire, and train field staff to effectively communicate Ohio Citizen Action’s campaigns with the public, recruit members, organize political actions, and fundraise for the organization. The Field Canvas Director oversees all elements of OCA’s door-to-door organizing strategy, and works closely with the Organizing Team to develop campaign messaging and political action tactics.
The Field Canvass Director is responsible for ensuring that OCA’s campaigns reach as many Ohioans as possible, regardless of geographical location, demographic, or socioeconomic status; working to provide Ohioans the tools to contact decision makers regarding issues that directly impact consumers and public health. The Field Canvass Director relays up-to-date campaign information to the field staff, and implements and directs necessary strategic changes as they unfold in real time.
· Recruit, hire, and train new field recruits;
· Work with Organizing Team in developing campaign messaging;
· Provide Field Staff with up-to-date campaign information;
· Orchestrate methods to provide campaign deliverables including political actions, membership, and donations;
· Communicate with Ohio municipal representatives as needed;
· Organize and schedule regular informational briefings for the Field Staff;
· Conduct Field Management training as necessary;
· Meet specific fiduciary responsibilities and manage expenses in accordance with the Field Canvass budget;
· Follow all administrative systems associated with running the Field Canvass operation;
· Keep up-to-date Field training materials;
· Participate in field canvass efforts, organizing members, political actions, and fundraising;
· Participate in the organization’s information sharing and decision-making process in an effective, assertive, and professional manner;
· Conduct work in a manner that consistently aligns with OCA’s core values; and
· Other duties as assigned
· 1+ years’ work experience of door-to-door political campaign work
· Track record of successful member and political action organizing
· Consistent history of meeting fundraising objectives
· Experience training, scheduling and managing Field crews
· Commitment to Ohio Citizen Action’s mission and goals
Additional Preferred Skills and Knowledge
· Able to work within the Cleveland, Ohio office.
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Very strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The Field Canvass Director should share our strong commitment to integrating racial equity and social justice into all levels of our work, increasing and nurturing all forms of diversity in our movement, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
The Field Canvass Director position is a full-time salaried position with benefits including vacation, paid sick days, healthcare, dental and vision starting March 2021. $35,600 plus bonuses and commission.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references to Jessica Smith-Szabo firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until March 1, 2021 for first review and interview; rolling applications will be accepted thereafter until position is filled. Should you have any questions, please email Jessica at the above email address.
Field Canvass Director
Ohio Citizen Action
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) seeks a Field Canvass Director to lead the organization’s field outreach program. For decades, OCA has made millions of front porch visits across the state…