CenterLink is searching for our “first ever” Fund Development Officer to help grow organizational capacity as we move into our future. The Fund Development Officer will provide leadership on all fundraising initiatives including individual donor and sponsorship cultivation. They will identify, organize, and manage CenterLink’s fundraising activities with a focus on new opportunities to obtain ongoing and increased funder support. This is an incredible opportunity to create a new fund development program and requires an openness to new experiences, tolerance for ambiguity, critical thinking and inquisitiveness.
CenterLink was founded in 1994 as a member-based coalition to support the development of strong, sustainable LGBT community centers. The organization plays an important role in supporting the growth of LGBT centers and addressing the challenges they face, by helping them to improve their organizational and service delivery capacity and increase access to public resources. Based in Fort Lauderdale, FL, CenterLink works with other national organizations to advance the rights of LGBT individuals and to provide LGBT community centers with information and analysis of key issues.
Serving over 200 LGBT community centers across the country in 45 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, as well as centers in Canada, China, and Australia, CenterLink assists newly forming community centers and helps strengthen existing LGBT centers, through networking opportunities for center leaders, peer-based technical assistance and training, and a variety of capacity building services. Our efforts are based on the belief that LGBT community centers are primary change agents in the national movement working toward the liberation and empowerment of LGBT people. Serving over 2 million people annually, they are the heart and soul of the LGBT movement and are vital to our current well-being and dreams for the future. Whether they provide direct services, educate the public or organize for social change, community centers work more closely with their LGBT constituency and engage more community leaders and decision-makers than any other LGBT network in the country.
Centers serve a vital and multi-faceted role in many communities across the country. They are often the only staffed non-profit LGBT presence in the area and the first point of contact for people seeking information, coming out, accessing services or organizing for social change. Over 60% of LGBT centers provide some direct health services (including counseling, peer-led programs, and support groups, as well as physical health and other mental health services). At the same time, LGBT community centers remain thinly staffed, with over 30% operating with no paid staff, relying solely on volunteers; and over 60% employing five or fewer paid staff.
A fundamental goal of our mission is to help build the capacity of centers to meet the social, cultural, health and political advocacy needs of LGBT community members across the country. CenterLink also acts as a voice for LGBT community centers in national grassroots organizing, coalition building, and social activism in order to strengthen and build a unified center movement.
- Design and execute a multi-channel development strategy that contributes to the financial viability and overall sustainability of the organization.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including organizations, foundations, corporations, etc.
- Provide monthly reports to the CEO which measure progress toward achieving the plan.
- Assist the Deputy Director with researching and writing grants for the agency.
- Assist in maintaining and expanding foundation relationships and revenues.
- Assist in providing timely reporting and ensuring compliance as required by grant award documentation.
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation which will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base.
- Create and implement strategies for a sponsorship program.
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices and procedures used in the nonprofit sector and inform the leadership of items that would benefit CenterLink.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Implement a thorough donor acknowledgment and stewardship system and work with CEO to maintain consistent contact with major donors.
- Oversee the design, production, and dissemination of development collateral (including but not limited to solicitation letters, Annual Report, etc.).
- Assist with messaging on social media outlets including website, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Collaborate with staff, board, and volunteers to gather stories and outcome statistics that demonstrate the results and value of programs funded.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of professional development and fundraising experience.
- Have experience creating development plans for organizations.
- Have a high degree of comfort with one or more fundraising databases.
- Must have a deep belief in our mission.
- Display a positive mental attitude and enthusiasm.
- Outcome-driven with the ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Exceptional and persuasive communication skills – both in-person and written.
- Strong organization and time-management.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Advanced PC skills and expert proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Donor database experience desirable).
- Experience working with the LGBTQ community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ people.
- Ability and willingness to participate in ongoing professional development activities in order to keep current on new advances in the field and enhance skills already maintained.
- Ability and willingness to travel to conferences and meetings.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, and salaried position.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture.
- We commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, and 401(k).
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our team, please submit the following via email to email@example.com with “CenterLink Fund Development Officer" in the subject line:
- A cover letter describing your interest in CenterLink
- Include how your past experience has prepared you for this role
- Also, please include your salary needs
- Your resume
No calls or agencies, please.
CenterLink does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.