Details: Annualized salary for full-time schedule. Would be pro-rated for part-time.
Washington Trails Association has a 50-year legacy of engaging the hiking community. WTA enhances hiking experiences in Washington state by empowering a diverse and growing community of hikers to explore, steward and protect trails and public lands. WTA is the nation’s largest state-based trail advocacy organization, with 15,000 member households, thousands of volunteers each year and an online community of more than 100,000. WTA’s annual budget is approximately $5 million, of which $2.6 million is contributions from individuals.
WTA is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to support the organization’s growth. This is a new position that has been created to meet the increasing demand for talent recruitment, development and management in the organization. We seek a team member with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and HR experience who will partner with internal hiring managers and staff to create and manage a smooth and efficient process to recruit, hire and retain a highly qualified and diverse community of committed WTA staff. In addition to recruiting and hiring, the HR Generalist will carry out responsibilities in training, performance management, policy implementation, and compliance.
This position will be the only HR staff at WTA. It is a full-time, exempt position that will report to the Director of Finance and Operations and will support hiring managers across the organization. The ideal candidate will be solutions-oriented, collaborative and accountable.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop the organization’s strategy for year-round and seasonal hiring, coordinating a timely and efficient process with clearly communicated goals and timelines.
- Ensure WTA’s hiring process incorporates best practices for attracting qualified candidates who bring a diversity of backgrounds and experience.
- Develop and implement a recruiting strategy that leverages WTA’s volunteer and staff community connections and proactively markets job opportunities to candidates who bring a diverse set of skills and background experience.
- Manage the hiring process from start to finish. Own and refine all hiring process documents, including interview rubrics and feedback forms. Post jobs, screen candidates, set up interviews and conduct reference checks. Serve as main point of contact for all applicants throughout the recruitment process.
Employee orientation and professional development
- Lead the orientation and onboarding of newly hired staff, helping to ensure a successful launch for their WTA career.
- Ensure new hire paperwork and orientation steps are completed in a timely and organized fashion.
- Develop and manage a system for tracking training requirements for all staff and individual positions. Schedule or deliver training as appropriate.
- Maintain and update employment records related to hiring, promoting and terminating staff.
- Develop the process, training and tools for WTA’s annual performance evaluation, ensuring that annual reviews are carried out in a timely manner and that the resulting feedback is valuable.
- Communicate HR policies, procedures, laws and standards to new and existing employees.
- Serve as the contact point for any employee relations issues, including complaints and harassment allegations. Work closely with WTA leadership to address issues as they arise.
- Serve as a thought leader for WTA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work, collaborating with executive leadership to develop best practices for building an organizational culture that is inclusive and welcoming to candidates and employees of all identities.
- Assist in development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; maintain employee handbook.
- Ensure that WTA actions are aligned with its compensation philosophy and total rewards strategy.
- Research and update compensation rates that reflect competitive market pay for WTA staff.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to support continual improvement.
Additional HR duties
- Research, recommend, and implement HR Information System.
- Maintain job descriptions for all positions and ensure they are updated to reflect shifts in key duties as they occur.
- Monitor organization compliance with current best practices, changes in laws, and risk assessment plan.
- Proven track record of success with talent recruitment, development and management in a dynamic and growing organization.
- Strong knowledge of employment laws, compensation practices, and personnel administration.
- Ability to develop and execute sourcing strategies for the recruitment of staff at all levels. Experience with social media and in-person outreach preferred.
- Cultural competency skills and demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse races, ages, genders, abilities and economic backgrounds.
- Familiarity with best practices around Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, particularly as they pertain to recruitment and retention.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Speak clearly and persuasively, and write clearly and informatively.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines while managing several projects at once.
- Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining systems and processes. Strategic thinker, with the ability to map daily responsibilities to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Create an environment of positive employee relations, keep confidentiality, and establish trust and credibility.
- Proficient with computer systems including Microsoft Office suite and a CRM such as Salesforce. Experience with HR Information Systems preferred.
- A strong commitment to WTA’s mission.
Compensation: The compensation range for this position is $55,000 - $60,000 annually for full-time schedule depending on experience. Part-time work or flexible scheduling is negotiable.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision and long term disability insurance; retirement plan; transit pass; and holiday, vacation and sick leave. Part-time work or flexible scheduling is negotiable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a resume and a brief cover letter detailing how your experience and qualifications translate to the requirements of the role to email@example.com. Reference the job title “HR Generalist” in the subject line. The position is open until filled but priority will be given to resumes received by June 8, 2018.