360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks a skilled Spanish Language Interpreter/Translator.
Since opening our doors in 1997, The Bronx Defenders has served over 300,000 clients in Bronx County. The Bronx Defenders pioneered a model of legal representation called holistic defense, designed to fight both the causes and consequences of court-involvement. Our staff of over 280 lawyers and advocates work on interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom work to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy to our clients. The Bronx Defenders also houses a community organizing and an impact litigation team, serving as a community resource and force for systemic change. We engage with clients, community residents, and policymakers as we seek ways to better serve the Bronx community and enhance access to justice for all.
Over 50% of households in the South Bronx speak a language other than English, and The Bronx Defenders serves an overwhelming number of monolingual Spanish speakers seeking legal assistance in criminal, family, civil and immigration court proceedings. Being entangled in the legal system can be incredibly confusing, frightening and overwhelming, but this is especially the case when there is a language barrier. The Bronx Defenders seeks to hire a Spanish Language Interpreter/Translator to assist our attorneys and advocates in effectively communicating with and advocating for our clients during one of the most vulnerable and stressful moments of their lives. When not providing interpretation or translation services, the Spanish Language Interpreter/Translator may also assist in providing reception and administrative support.
Responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Providing oral and written Spanish interpretation and translation services in The Bronx Defenders offices, courthouses, and carceral facilities, on occasion
- Assist attorneys and advocates in having difficult, sensitive and confidential conversations with Spanish speaking clients and community members
- Assist reception and administrative staff on occasion, as needed
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Associate’s degree from an accredited institution, preferably in criminal justice or an allied field, or in the alternative, two years of related professional experience
- Evidence of Spanish to English oral and written interpretation and translation proficiency (please note that Spanish language skills will be tested)
- Ability to interpret English to Spanish and vice versa fluently, while accurately capturing the facts, tone and spirit of the statement communicated by the speaker
- Capacity to conduct simultaneous and consecutive Spanish to English interpretation and vice versa in person, via telephone or video conferencing
- Ability to perform written and visual translations with factual and conceptual accuracy without changes, omissions or additions
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills to translate documents
- Ability to transcribe and translate audio and video files from Spanish to English, and vice versa
- Ability to translate a wide range of legal documents including but not limited to witness statements, birth, death, marriage and divorce decrees from foreign countries, affidavits, petitions, letters, etc.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to collaborate well with individuals from various backgrounds, experiences, and communication styles
- Ability to work well independently in a fast paced, high stakes environment
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information
- Experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Commitment to assisting in the defense of individuals navigating the criminal, family, civil and immigration legal system
The following qualifications are preferred but not required:
- Certification in Spanish/English interpretation/translation
- Proficiency in additional languages beyond Spanish and English
- Working knowledge of English and Spanish vocabulary used in formal and causal modes of communication including colloquial slang and regionalisms
- Computer software literacy and ability to quickly learn to navigate new systems
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our career portal at the link above, select the position of interest, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload a cover letter and resume in one document when prompted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, June 1st, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. Please contact Lorraine Landrau, Reception and Community Intake Team Leader, via email at email@example.com with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences and communities to apply.