Youth Justice Network is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that brings tools and hope to young people (ages 16-24) whose lives intersect with New York City's jails and justice system.
Shifting Gears – Mobile Career Services
Shifting Gears is a mobile career center that supports our youth participants in neighborhoods throughout New York City. This tech-equipped, 24-seater bus will drive and park consistently in an identified NYC neighborhood on set dates and times (Specific routes to be determined by the Outreach Director). Inside, young people access Wi-Fi and technology and work on job opportunities in a safe, welcoming space.
- Driver for Shifting Gears needed three days per week, from 9 am to 6 pm, with potential for additional hours.
- Remain with the bus at program locations from 11 am to 4:30 pm.
- Remain flexible as locations and cites may change week to week.
- Transport Shifting Gears bus to and from destinations between Manhattan and other borough destinations.
- Arrive at destinations on schedule.
- Use navigation applications to determine the best route and look up and plan for traffic, construction and weather delays.
- Join team of agency co-workers in making participants/clients feel welcomed and respected and interact professionally at all times.
- Ensure that the vehicle is always fueled and ready for use.
- Arrange for vehicle repairs as needed.
- Keep mileage records and repair records up-to-date.
- Maintain privacy of information disclosed by youth members in presence of driver.
- Adhere to YJN’s Covid-19 safety standards while inside the bus including wearing face masks.
- Must have Valid New York State Driver's License and excellent driving record, with two years’ experience.
- Must be able to drive and park a Ford E450 Passenger Vehicle.
- Must be insurable on Youth Justice Network vehicle insurance.
- Extensive knowledge of New York Metropolitan area pertaining to vehicle routes.
- Must be courteous and patient.
- Excellent navigation skills and proficiency in using navigation apps.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills – enjoy people and maintain good humor.