811 1st Avenue
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is seeking a talented and hardworking Legislative Affairs Manager to drive our advocacy programming. This is a full-time, permanent position within the organization based primarily out of Seattle and Olympia with some travel around the state required.
The primary responsibility of this position is to build and leverage NARAL's member-driven political power to advocate for polices that advance the mission of NARAL Pro-Choice Washington. The Legislative Affairs Manager will have the opportunity to work with elected officials who are champions for reproductive freedom to advance reproductive freedom for all communities. This position serves as NARAL Pro-Choice Washington's lobbyist year round. This position will also assist with responsibilities relating to the function of NARAL's Political Action Committee (PAC) and, in partnership with NARAL's Organizing Director, is responsible for the implementation of coordinated campaign activities.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the leading pro-choice political advocacy organization in Washington State with over 30,000 members statewide. Our vision is that every Washingtonian is able to exercise full self-determination in all pregnancy decision through equitable access to reproductive healthcare, including abortion care, and workplace policies that support working families. NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
- Support NARAL organizing staff in educating and mobilizing NARAL members in effective tactics to advocate for reproductive freedom.
- Responsible for all lobbying both during legislation session and during the off-session months.
- Identifies and tracks legislation with an impact for NARAL members and reproductive freedom in Washington State.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with state legislators, executive office, and state agencies - focusing on developing champions for our issue.
- Work with Code Revisers Office to ensure drafting and preparation of priority legislation.
- Coordinate all aspects of Political Action Committee (PAC) including revisiting NARAL's candidate questionnaires, candidate trainings, and coordinating endorsements.
- Track legislation and legislative activities and produce reports as needed for the executive director, board of directors, and organizing staff.
- Other tasks as required.
- Minimum of 3 years working in legislative or political field, preferably in Washington State.
- Ability to plan and think strategically to promote NARAL Pro-Choice Washington, our mission, our legislation, and our messaging.
- Strong commitment to the fundamental right to choose safe and legal abortion as part of a full range of reproductive health care choices.
- Knowledge of statewide membership organizations and how to leverage member power toward grassroots lobbying.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with staff, volunteers, and members of the general public.
- Exceptional organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and ability to focus in a busy environment are a must.
- Use of personal transportation with a valid driver's license and insurance coverage.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and current social media platforms; ability to become proficient in NGP/VAN database.
Physical demands for this position include frequent walking for door to door canvassing and the ability to walk for a few hours at a time. This position requires the ability to travel across the Greater Spokane area, often while transporting collateral such as posters, documents, and clipboards. This position requires the ability to remain in a relatively stationary position outdoors and/or indoors for tabling purposes. There will also be frequent standing, sitting at a desk, operating a computer, use of a telephone, and face-to-face communication with co-workers, volunteers, and members of the public.
We provide a benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick & safe leave and holidays; medical, dental and vision insurance; ORCA benefit; and Employee assistance program.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.