JOB ANNOUNCMENT: Tobacco Prevention Program Coordinator
BACR is a nonprofit organization founded in 1976 with the mission to “promote the healthy development
of individuals and families, encourage service and volunteerism, and help build community.” Within BACR, Engaging Communities in Advocacy and Policy (ECAP) facilitates community-based public health advocacy with communities throughout the Bay Area. Youth Advocates have implemented campaigns to increase fruit and vegetable consumption among kids, implement school salad bars, participate in youth decoy, and reduce youth access to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs in the community.
The Tobacco Policy Program Coordinator is responsible for developing grassroots capacity and empowering youth and adult community members to advocate for smoke free multi-unit housing and work to reduce the sales of flavored tobacco products in San Pablo. This is youth-led advocacy and goal of the Youth Advocates is to reduce youth tobacco access and health disparities in West Contra Costa County.
· Recruit, hire, train and supervise high school age Youth Advocates. Coordinate appropriate workshops and provide ongoing support.
- Act as a youth development practitioner in accordance with BACR Best Practices.
· Implement activities in the Work Plan to run a policy campaign using the Community Action Model with Youth Advocates. Support youth and community members in building capacity as policy advocates and health educators.
· Work with partners to develop campaign strategies.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders, including other service providers, community leaders, client groups, government and civic organizations and coalitions.
· Manage day-to-day program operations, monitor achievement of outcome goals and objectives.
· Collect relevant data; provide documentation and reports, support evaluation and monitoring.
· Participate in county workgroups, agency committees, and other sponsored activities.
· B.A. in related area of study such as public policy/public health or three years of community-based experience, emphasis on community health or public policy preferred.
· Demonstrated experience working with policy-makers and community stakeholders and/or high school-aged youth to promote policy change; experience in public health highly desirable.
· Cultural competency and substantial experience working with diverse communities; ability to be flexible and positive working with people and orgs with different backgrounds and viewpoints.
· Excellent communication and organizational skills, confidence in public speaking, and ability to balance competing demands.
· Ability to acquire deep substantive understanding of subject areas including California tobacco control campaigns and issues affecting public health in low-income and immigrant communities.
· Spanish-English bilingual preferred.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
This is a full time position with benefits. Compensation is $40,000 annually.
JOIN OUR TEAM!
· To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Ali Wohlgemuth, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line YTAPP Coordinator
- Anticipated start date August 21, 2018
Health benefits, vision, dental, 401K, among others
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish-English bilingual preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter