CAC-BU seeks to select recent Boston-area college graduates for a year of full-time AmeriCorps service as college advisers in partner high schools. AmeriCorps Member college advisers will report to program staff and to an on-site supervisor in each of the schools they will serve.
• Provide one-on-one admissions and financial aid assistance to students and families.
• Organize group events that encourage students and families to create post-graduate plans/apply to college.
• Establish productive working relationships with principals, counselors and teachers in assigned partner school.
• Assess, in consultation with CAC-BU and partner school, the needs of the school and adapt programs and activities to meet these needs.
• Assist the CAC-BU and evaluation staff by collecting and interpreting key progress and outcome variables to evaluate the effectiveness of programming.
• Record service activity data and submit monthly progress reports to document outcomes.
• Maintain expertise in admissions and financial aid advising by participating fully in pre- and in-service training and other opportunities for professional development.
• Assist in the efforts of the other CAC-BU advisers.
• Represent CAC-BU to potential supporters and other interested parties.
• Assist with school-based events, such as clubs, field trips or enrichment activities
• Tact, diplomacy, and a strong commitment to service.
• Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively in order to solve problems and reach goals.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Bachelor degree required. Preferably earned in May 2021, December 2020, May 2020, or December 2019, and preferably from a Boston-area college/university.
• Boston natives who earned their Bachelor's degree outside Boston, or Bachelor's degree graduates of other College Advising Corps partner institutions are also preferred.
Terms of Service:
• Position Start Date: ASAP
• Position End Date: June 2022
• Full-Time: 40 hours / week, times vary per school placement schedule (average 7:30 AM-4 PM).
• Length of Service: This position will have the option to extend for an additional full year if mutually agreed upon by program staff and the adviser.
• Location: Each adviser will be placed at a Boston-area high school. The majority of service hours take place at said high school, with additional service hours completed at Boston University.
• Supervision: Each adviser will report to a CAC-BU supervisor and an On-Site Supervisor designated by the high school.
CAC-BU seeks to select recent Boston-area college graduates for a year of full-time AmeriCorps service as college advisers in partner high schools. AmeriCorps Member college advisers will report to program staff and…
Applications must be submitted via the Boston University website: http://www.bu.edu/hr/careers/. Tracking code: 7179. Direct link to the position is found here. Please follow the instructions in the posting to submit a resume and cover letter via the BU HR portal. Note that the cover letter must be added separately later in the application in “Step 5: Profile Attachments” (initial upload is resume only). Cover letters should address the following: Why are you interested in committing to a year of service? What will make you an effective adviser? How will this experience benefit you both personally and professionally?