410 West 42nd Street
The New Group, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theaters, is seeking a FINANCE MANAGER. The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In addition to producing four annual productions, the organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors. The New Group also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined high school, college, and adult students.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Finance Manager is responsible for overseeing the company’s financial management and human resources.
· Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies, procedures, non-profit accounting standards, and internal controls
· Manage banking and cash flow planning
· Administer payroll management including weekly processing
· Oversee all general ledger activity including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bank reconciliation
· Reconcile box office, contributed income, petty cash, and credit card activity
· Create and track annual operating budget with Executive Director and General Manager and prepare periodic re-forecasts
· Monitor capital budget, in conjunction with Owner’s Representative
· Develop and prepare special reports for funders
· Lead communication with external auditors and compile testing materials to prepare annual audited financial statements and 990 return
· Liaise with the Finance and Audit Committee and participate in Committee and Board meetings, as required
· Assist in long-term financial planning initiatives with senior leadership and the Board, through developing and utilizing forward-looking, predictive models, and activity-based financial analyses in order to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
Human Resources (HR)
· Direct HR functions, including procurement, hiring, termination, and management of employment policies
· Work closely with hiring managers to ensure consistent HR policies and best practices
· Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements, by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions
· Administer employee benefit plans and process all claims
The ideal candidate will have the following: a working knowledge of accounting and finance; strong book-keeping skills with proficiency in computerized accounting (Quickbooks or other equivalent accounting software); management skills in budgeting, financial planning, and analysis; excellent written/verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly and effectively articulate policies and financial concepts to internal and external parties; exceptional quantitative and analytical skills; attention to detail and accuracy while managing multiple projects simultaneously; Competitive candidates will possess a professional history of progressively responsible business or accounting experience, with non-profit experience preferred.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and people of color, immigrants, veterans, differently abled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply.
Benefits package includes health, dental, 403b retirement, and commuter benefit plans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Finance Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. For more information on The New Group, please visit www.thenewgroup.org.