Feeding Westchester is looking for people with the passion, courage, and creativity to create meaningful change in the lives of others. As Westchester County’s leading hunger relief organization, we moved nearly 10 million pounds of food to agencies and partners across Westchester County, including food pantries, soup kitchens, senior centers and schools last year. We supplied 8.4 million meals to children, families, and seniors, mobilized 11,000 volunteers, and raised over $5 million in donations to help end hunger here.
When COVID-19 brought the world to a standstill, Feeding Westchester never closed. Instead, the team mobilized and responded to unprecedented need for food, delivering more than 12 million pounds of food since March! Because of that, kids, families and seniors affected by the pandemic did not have to worry about where their next meal would come from. Though Westchester entered Phase 4 of reopening in July, we know our work is not done. Unemployment continues to rise, as does the need for food. We’re looking for talented people to continue our mission to ensure as much food as possible on as many tables as possible for as long as there is need. What are you looking for?
Feeding Westchester has an exciting opportunity for a visionary and mission-driven Nutrition Resource Manager. Reporting directly to the Director’ Community Impact, the Nutrition Resource Manager plays a critical role in leading Feeding Westchester’s Programs and Innovation efforts to build awareness about our mission, services, needs and successes, as well as to position the organization in leading hunger-relief in Westchester County. We are looking for someone with a solid nutrition and food safety background who is passionate about driving programming and engagement with our partners and clients throughout the community! Spanish speaking a major plus!
The Nutrition Resource Manager is a grant-funded position by the New York state Department of Health, Hunger Prevention Nutrition Assistance Program. The NRM is responsible for planning and implementing Food Safety/Nutrition Education to Feeding Westchester member programs, their clients, and Feeding Westchester staff. This position will collaborate internally to ensure that a safe and nutritious food supply is stored and delivered to member programs for distribution to hungry people in Westchester County, and improve client quality of life due to better health through better nutrition. This position requires active on-site and hands-on work in the field engaging with our partners throughout the County and may require some evening and weekend hours. This position works with diverse populations, so a strong degree of comfort in working with linguistically diverse, interfaith, BIPOC, LGBTQx groups is required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HPNAP Reporting and Compliance
· Oversee agency procedures for grant application for HPNAP food, operations support and capital equipment grants to Emergency Food Programs, including grant application reviews, monitoring procedures, etc.
· Participate in NRM activities to assess the effectiveness of HPNAP nutrition and food safety policies in English and Spanish at the minimum, or be able to find resources in multiple languages.
· Assist in educating Emergency Food Program providers regarding Food Bank and HPNAP nutrition policies.
· TA activities including site visits to HPNAP supported sites at the request of Agency Relations and/or HPNAP contract manager.
· Provide technical assistance/training to Agency Relations staff on evaluating HPNAP supported meals and food packages for compliance with HPNAP nutrition standards.
· Evaluate foods for compliance with HPNAP nutrition standards, provide guidance on safety, value, storage life, handling, use, and cultural relevance, in English and Spanish.
· Supervise the staff and provide oversight to the Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetable program
· Participate in DOH, HPNAP, NRM Meetings, Conference Calls and Trainings.
· Meet with HPNAP Contract Manager quarterly to report/discuss NRM activities
· Develop external relationships with nutrition/health organizations/coalitions, bring on dietetic interns
· Educate Food Bank staff, Partner Programs and Emergency Food Programs (EFPs) and develop promotional materials on the importance of providing healthy foods that support the current US Dietary Guidelines for Americans, annually and as needed.
· Provide/coordinate/facilitate food/nutrition education workshop for office and warehouse staff annually.
· Provide/coordinate/facilitate food/nutrition education workshop for Feeding Westchester's network and the community as needed.
· Assess Emergency Food Program's nutrition education needs and respond with educational workshops/materials.
· Provide food and nutrition news to Emergency Food Program providers at least monthly via regular communication, such as newsletter and news bulletins.
· Supervise and mentor JSY nutritionist
· Oversee JSY program in the community
· Lead and coordinate Agency and Client Surveys annually.
· Conduct community outreach to engage participation in Feeding Westchester nutrition education workshops.
· Research and implement new nutrition incentive programs
· Review agency food safety monitoring reports and provide technical assistance. Food safety technical assistance including assisting in development of corrective action plans to correct critical food safety concerns, conducting follow-up food safety monitoring visits, assessing and providing food safety training and assisting with distribution of food safety supplies.
· Assist in quality control of perishable/dated food products in warehouse inventory: assess warehouse/food storage and handling practices and assist in moving food soon to expire by providing recipes and recommendations for moving food.
· Provide technical assistance to Emergency Food Programs regarding food product concerns, such as food product dating, labeling, storage, and food recalls
Collaborating with Agency Relations
· Assist AR team in developing programs and training for all members to maintain activities, including Agency Day; Help develop new member agencies.
· Participate in Emergency Food Program community and coalition meetings to understand current social and operational issues as well as promote nutrition services.
· Participate in professional development activities to maintain knowledge of current community nutrition, public health and community food security issues.
· Consult with the Agency Relations and Operation team to provide produce list for the Green Thumb Program
· Develop and implement a nutrition component to special food delivery programs/projects and community activities as needed.
· Assist AR team in conducting HPNAP Site Visits and promote Client Choice and other educational activities.
· B.S. in food service administration, community nutrition, human nutrition, dietetics, public health and/or health education from an accredited institution.
· Commission on Dietetic Registration (i.e., R.D.) or at least three years of professional, community nutrition related work experience.
· Demonstrated interest in and commitment to hunger or related social issues.
· Proven success in building effective working partnerships.
· Fluency and comfort in Spanish strongly preferred
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to present effective and compelling messages to individuals, groups and the public.
· Must be proficient in latest software and technology.
· The ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
· Extremely organized, detail oriented and able to keep accurate records for tracking and reporting.
· Establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
· Problem solving to identify solutions and meet and enhance organizational mission.
· Must have valid driver's license and use of a vehicle to ensure ability to travel independently for Food Bank business.
· Ability to write and speak fluently in Spanish is a plus.
· Ability to lift, carry, and set up a variety of promotional materials including electronics, materials in boxes, and table top screens (weighing up to 50 pounds).
· Ability to operate equipment such as pallet jack, metal cart, etc.
· Ability to pack, unpack and put away various materials.
· Prolonged standing, walking and bending in addition to sitting in front of a computer.
· Ability to access, research, read, review, enter and retrieve information from computer, hard copies and desk top publishing systems.
· Ability to give regular communications in person, writing, by email and by telephone
· Ability to give speeches and presentations to groups.
· Ability to travel independently in the daytime and evening to regional and national destinations.
· Ability to access all work sites of the agency.
· Ability to work in below 0°F temperatures for short periods of time.
· Working inside a warehouse environment and the Feeding Westchester offices.
· Working outside in all weather conditions in all Westchester communities.
· Travel throughout the Food Bank for Westchester service area.
· Ability to work irregular or extended hours including some evenings and weekends.
The purpose of this job description is to provide an overview of the scope of the position. This is not a comprehensive list of duties/responsibilities. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Feeding Westchester provides a competitive benefits package including paid time off, Medical/Dental/Vision coverages, 403(b) retirement plan with discretionary employer contribution, company-paid Life and LTD insurances, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and other ancillary benefits. Feeding Westchester is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested Applicants should send resume, cover letter, (work samples a plus) and salary requirements to https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/723230/Feeding-Westchester/Nutrition-Resource-Manager
Feeding Westchester is looking for people with the passion, courage, and creativity to create meaningful change in the lives of others. As Westchester County’s leading hunger relief organization, we moved nearly 10…