Senior Associate, Communications
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws or regulations. We are an e-verify employer.
If you have a difficulty applying for any job posted on this website because a disability prevents you from using the online system, we offer the following alternate application procedure: Contact Human Resources at 918-947-6215, and we will arrange for an alternate method of applying and will consider your application together with all other applications received for the job. Please call only for such application assistance.
The Birth through Eight Strategy for Tulsa (BEST), an initiative of the George Kaiser Family Foundation (GKFF), is an organization dedicated to providing an equal opportunity for young children in Tulsa through investments in early childhood education, community health, social services and civic enhancement.
GKFF-BEST is currently seeking a mission-driven and experienced candidate to fill the role of Senior Associate, Communications.
Birth through Eight Strategy for Tulsa (BEST)
BEST represents an exciting opportunity for Tulsa. Nationally distinctive in its size, scope, and depth of partner engagement, BEST is a comprehensive, continuous and integrated approach that focuses on families to help break the cycle of intergenerational poverty. This strategy knits together programs and services to create a seamless continuum of support. Programs, services, community agencies and philanthropies are partnering with Tulsa's families to build a cycle of opportunity.
BEST currently partners with over 80 public and non-profit agencies of varying sizes that are delivering health, education, criminal justice and social services to children and families in Tulsa. As part of the entrepreneurial BEST team made up of 14 members, the Senior Associate of Communications plays an important role in developing materials such as newsletters, website maintenance and collateral assets in service of raising awareness of BEST's collective mission, vision and goals.
As a member of the BEST team, the Senior Associate of Communications will report to the BEST Managing Director. This person will work closely with the Director of ConnectFirst, Associate Director of Community Engagement, Associate Director of Implementing Partner Engagement and Director of Operations to align key messages and communication systems across a diverse set of stakeholders. Additionally, this person will work with other members of the BEST team on an ongoing basis to ensure alignment internally with consistent messaging and storytelling about the initiative. Lastly, this role will collaborate with staff at the George Kaiser Family Foundation, Blue Meridian Partners as well as BEST's branding and communications firm to coordinate effective communication campaigns that tell the story of BEST and its partners.
Hours and Location
- Work primarily at the GKFF office (7030 S Yale Ave #600, Tulsa, OK 74136), 8:30am - 5:00pm, with some off-site meetings. Some days will require flexible hours, with either an early start or a late finish.
Please note: Due to the necessary public health precautions put in place as a result of COVID-19 pandemic, the GKFF-BEST team continues to work remotely for the foreseeable future.
Content Development (50%)
- Manage website and develop BEST communications and collateral for various internal and external audiences, including social media content
- Lead print and digital development for a wide range of community audiences and BEST partners (e.g., newsletter content, videos, webinars)
- Support the revision, maintenance and upkeep of all BEST's communication materials
- Continue to refine the branding and communications strategy so that it is fully aligned with the BEST mission as it expands its portfolio
- Develop strong systems and processes to measure engagement and effectiveness of communications strategy with ongoing refinement
- Design clear and consistent processes for creating, vetting and supporting the development of BEST communications
Vision and Strategy (20%)
- Refine and execute a three-year communications plan including key messages, talking points and other key pieces of collateral as well as guidelines for any external communications
- Oversee the development of consistent messaging to internal and external audiences to promote BEST's mission, vision and impact
- Develop, manage and implement effective communications strategies (both responsive and proactive) that help achieve organizational goals for BEST
- Collaborate with the BEST Director of Operations to develop communications systems needed to support BEST's work including Salesforce integration, ongoing contact management, partner resource libraries, etc.
- Collaborate with the Director of ConnectFirst and ConnectFirst Program Coordinator to build and shape a vision for ConnectFirst social media engagement and website content
Internal and External Relationship Management (20%)
- Collaborate with GKFF and BEST staff to develop consistent and accurate content, key messages and written and visual materials to ensure a cohesive visual and written brand identity
- Coordinate activities of outside media and communications consultants and vendors as needed
- Coordinate with GKFF staff and BEST Managing Director who will serve as spokesperson for these opportunities
- Work closely with GKFF and BEST staff along with communications leads with BEST national partners, to ensure that the success being achieved by funded programs and organizations is amplified nationally to policy-makers, other funders, corporate interests and the public
Team-wide Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in GKFF and BEST team activities to support team learning and development
- Participate in activities to gain exposure to various aspects of BEST, and receive coaching and professional development from the Managing Director and other BEST team members
- Support GKFF and BEST team members in the development and thought partnership of consistent internal and external communications that align to BEST's overall strategy
Provide individualized support to members of the BEST Leadership Team who represent BEST in public engagements, as needed, with a focus on the Managing Director who will generally serve as the public spokesperson on BEST
- Pursuing and/or completed a bachelor’s degree in communications is preferred
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience in communications, marketing and/or relevant work experience
- Previous experience working in or with nonprofits and/or organizations focused on early childhood, human services or a related field preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a variety of audiences
- Ability to work independently in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Zoom, MailChimp and other streaming platforms
- Strong graphic design and media production skills, with the ability to create strong visual experiences for a diverse set of stakeholders
- Experience working with nonprofit, governmental agencies, early childhood initiatives or charitable organizations required
- Experience with Salesforce or similar Client Relationship Manager (CRM) required with a preference for candidates who have been involved in designing requirements for technology needs
- Ability to apply an equity lens to branding and communications content development
- Strong organizational, time management, project management and problem solving skills, with ability to balance competing priorities and deliverables, required
- A commitment to taking on bold and ambitious initiatives in order to tackle intergenerational poverty and significantly expand opportunities for the children and families of Tulsa
- A deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, with experience integrating these values into community-centered branding and communications
- Commitment to personal and professional growth and development and the ability to incorporate feedback in real time from a wide range of sources into continuous improvement efforts
- Ability to think proactively and to perform and adapt in a fast-paced, start-up environment with ongoing refinements to processes and scope of work
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and sound judgment, with an emphasis on:
- Collaborating with peers and a wide range of partners using a solutions-oriented, strengths-based approach;
- Using appropriate judgment to determine how to engage with peers and partners as well as to manage up;
- Influencing others without formal supervisory authority;
- Actively listening to and empathizing with others; and
- Cultural competency: Empathy and ability to build rapport with individuals from various cultures, experiences and backgrounds
- Ability to operate autonomously with limited supervision to drive towards goals
- Proactive and able to anticipate needs and issues
How to Apply
- Cover letter and resume are required to apply. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume before October 1, 2021 for priority review. Applications submitted after this date will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Candidates advancing beyond the first round of screening will complete a job simulation related to project management and written communication. We expect the job simulation to take no more than two hours and will provide advance notice for scheduling convenience.
GKFF BEST LLC
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.