2150 Allston Way
The Brower Center’s House Managers serve as the client liaison(s) during special events such as meetings, classes, conferences, lectures, films, receptions, art openings, and sit-down dinners. The House Manager is responsible for representing the facility and providing on-site management to event rental clients and attendees of Brower Center-sponsored programs in a highly professional manner.
During events, House Managers provide excellent customer service, enforce rental policies and procedures, and are responsible for the security of the building. House Managers must have experience managing events for a high quality rental facility; excellent communication skills; familiarity with the logistics associated with meeting and event planning, catering; and basic operating knowledge of audio-visual equipment.
This part-time position has variable hours from week to week, as event schedules vary and may include daytime, evening, and weekend events. Call times are no earlier than 6:00 am and shifts end no later than 1:30 am. The Brower Center’s busy season is in Fall and Spring, with some down time over the holidays and in mid-Summer. Our center is open for events 7 days a week from 7am-midnight, excluding major holidays.
At this time, the Brower Center seeks to fill 2 House Manager positions. One position will have shifts primarily in the early mornings. The other position will have shifts primarily on weekends and weekday in the late afternoon and evenings.
This position averages 35-60 hours per month, dependent upon booked events and high and low seasons.
- Functions as primary liaison to client throughout event
- Ensures that the facility and its equipment are in good condition, secure, clean and safe
- Enforces terms of clients’ license and use agreements
- Manages security contractors during events
- Coordinates events timelines for staff A/V Technicians during live events to ensure timely set up of equipment
- Assists with the set-up and break-down of event furniture and equipment
- Functions as liaison with all vendors, caterers, and any other contractors associated with events
- Supports Events Director and Events Coordinators in assessing and enhancing event operations
- Provides thorough and clearly written post-event reports
- Provides condition reports on the facility, equipment, and artwork in the gallery following events
- Participates in staff meetings and organizational planning as assigned
- Maintains knowledge and inventory of A/V and other event-related equipment
- Serves as front desk reception for the building when not actively managing events
- Carries out administrative tasks and special projects for supervisor as assigned during events lulls, and sometimes when available outside of events as scheduled by supervisor
- Organizes and assists with inventory of conference center equipment and supplies, as assigned during events lulls, and sometimes when available outside of events as scheduled by supervisor
- Assists with evacuation procedures during building emergencies
- Secures any incoming checks and cash received while on duty
- Additional responsibilities and tasks as necessary and assigned
- Minimum three years of experience as on-site event staff for special events, meetings, and/or conferences
- Familiarity with audio-visual technology, including connections between laptops and digital projectors and basic sound reinforcement
- College degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Able to work in early mornings, evenings, and on weekends
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Calm under pressure and experienced with crisis management
- Familiarity with catering and event-related food and beverage service
- Able to troubleshoot and make sound independent decisions
- Proactive approach to solving problems and creating solutions
- Demonstrates support for the Brower Center’s mission to clients, public and staff
- Comfortable with Mac and PC computers, Microsoft Office, Internet and email
- Intermediate to advanced level of written and verbal Spanish preferred
- Able to lift and move up to 30 lbs.
We offer a competitive hourly rate with benefits such as public transportation subsidies, 401K participation and paid sick time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Basic spoken and written Spanish helpful
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and references to email@example.com with “House Manager” in the subject line.
1. In the body of the email: A cover letter and your general availability, indicating morning or evening hours
2. Resume, and two professional references, including name, phone number, and email address.
We regret that we cannot respond to all inquiries.
The David Brower Center is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.