1916 Park Avenue
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
In addition, our Promise curriculum includes grade-appropriate character education, helping students at every level build crucial non-cognitive skills such as resilience, grit, and curiosity. We also provide on-site medical, dental, and psychological services, as well as a healthy, freshly made breakfast, lunch and snack each day. Plus, the vast majority of our students participate in our after-school programs, where they receive extensive academic support and engage in a wide range of recreation and enrichment activities.
Not only do our students receive a high-quality, standards-based education, but they and their families also have access to HCZ’s comprehensive network of supports, including counseling, benefits assistance, and other social services.
To support our teachers, we provide them with weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure the reach their full potential.
We are seeking a Reading Specialist - Elementary. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Reading Specialist Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach targeted literacy interventions to individual students and small groups of students using research-based strategies and resources
- Set student goals and instructional outcomes, based on specific student assessments in reading
- Use assessments to diagnose reading strengths and weaknesses, and match these skills with appropriate techniques
- Work with classroom teachers and school administration to facilitate the coordination of the reading program with the total curriculum
- Assist teachers with the collection and analysis of data
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation provided
Reading Specialist Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification in Literacy or Reading Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio.
Minimum Education Required