Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
33 N. LaSalle
Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) seeks an experienced Spanish-speaking paralegal who is passionate about social justice to join our team. LCBH is a leading legal aid agency that has been providing free legal assistance to lower- income renters in Chicago for 35 years. LCBH believes that all families and individuals have a right to safe, decent, and affordable housing as a basic human right. Legal assistance is many times the last defense against homelessness for the most vulnerable members of our community.
Position Overview and Primary Responsibilities
This position is split between paralegal, intake and reception duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily:
- Perform administrative and clerical tasks as necessary for all Staff Attorneys.
- Prepare daily court log for attorneys; ensure that all LCBH case files with court dates are being docketed, and that all motions and other communications are being logged and forwarded to the appropriate attorneys.
- Ensure that all client files are properly opened and closed within the LCBH legal case management database.
- Perform client communications as needed; communicate with opposing counsel as requested by supervisor.
- Draft and review pleadings, discovery documents, motions, and correspondence, ensuring all are accurate and timely.
- Perform legal research, utilizing public and proprietary resources.
- File or efile pleadings, motions, and new cases with the Circuit Court of Cook County; procure files and documents from the clerk’s office and other public offices, and arrange for service of summons with Sheriff’s Department.
Other Legal Support Duties:
- Assist with foreclosure counselings (brief legal services) for Spanish-speaking renters.
- Assist with Spanish translation needs.
Intake and Reception:
- Answer and direct incoming telephone calls.
- Greet, screen and provide appropriate assistance to visitors and clients of LCBH and LCBH sublease tenants.
- Conduct intakes for Spanish-speaking clients or potential clients.
- Maintain voicemail log.
- Assist with intakes as needed including providing referrals to other agencies for callers or walk-in renters we cannot assist.
- Gather, record, and verify necessary information regarding tenant’s situation and prepare summaries for presentation at case acceptance meetings with the legal team.
- Communicate case acceptance to clients, and where appropriate refer to LCBH Supportive Services team.
- Refer rejected applicants to appropriate external resources.
Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LCBH offers a collegial work environment, comprehensive benefits, and a chance to be involved in public interest work that makes a lasting contribution in the Chicago community.
· Paralegal certificate preferred.
· Minimum of two years’ experience as a paralegal, or comparable experience.
· Excellent time management skills.
· Must be very organized, collaborative, and be skilled at working with a variety of stakeholders.
· Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities.
· Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook.
· Must be fluent in written and spoken Spanish.
Includes very competitive benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Paralegal certificate preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience as a paralegal, or comparable experience.
- Must be fluent in written and spoken Spanish.
Minimum Education Required