Details: Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
11001 Midway Road
Membership Organizer in Dallas, TX
About Workers Defense Project:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members.
WDP is one of the few organizations in Texas focused on addressing workplace abuse faced by low-wage laborers. Among the most established worker centers in the South, and a leader in the national movement of worker centers fighting for fair conditions for working people, WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”.
Each year, WDP serves over 2,500 workers through offices in Austin and Dallas by way of various social-service and organizing programs. WDP concentrates its efforts on winning better work conditions in the construction industry, among the most powerful special interest groups in Texas, employing over 900,000 workers, half of whom are undocumented.
The Membership Organizer position builds power for low-wage workers by recruiting new members, providing leadership development and safety trainings, and coordinating membership classes, events and activities (in particular ESL and OSHA classes). The Membership Organizer also helps to coordinate a worker-led committee that plans organizing and outreach events and activities on behalf of the organization.
- Coordinate and recruit members for WDP’s ESL classes, computer classes, safety trainings, and leadership development workshops
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with faith and labor allies, attorneys, state agencies, students, Spanish language media, and other community allies
- Work collaboratively with workers, advocates, and community supporters to develop campaign strategies and build worker leadership capacity
- Coordinate and facilitate worker rights and health and safety education/prevention workshops in Spanish
- Recruit, train, and coordinate construction workers for the WDP’s worker committee
- Recruit and register workers as WDP members and collect membership dues
- Plan and attend membership events and community outreach events
- Coordinate volunteers and members to attend events
- Any other activities that are necessary to carry out the work of WDP
- Fluent in English and Spanish (strong written and verbal communication skills)
- Two years of organizing or relevant experience
- Ability to work irregular hours including nights and weekends (organizing position is a full-time salaried position)
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people (including faith, labor, and Latina/o immigrants, among others.)
- Commitment to racial and economic justice and to bringing about change through leadership development and principles of popular education
- Detail-oriented and ability to work independently
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Have your own vehicle
Benefits include Heath, Dental and Vision Insurance and as well as retirement. You will also receive personal and sick paid time off as well as vacation.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English and Spanish (strong written and verbal communication skills)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an equal opportunity employer, Workers Defense Project embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.