4410 29th Avenue South
Hours: Part-Time, 12 hrs a week, $14.50/hr
Must be available during the following schedule: Monday through Thursday, 4:30 pm-7:30 pm
Horn of Africa Services (HOAS) seeks to hire after school program instructors for our youth tutoring program. We have 2 open positions at this time. HOAS serves East African immigrant youth living in Columbia City through our youth tutoring program.
Our after school program seeks to provide a space for safe, fun, productive learning and homework help. Youth are mostly elementary and early middle school age, though the program is open to K-12. It consists of two sessions, 5:00-6:00 pm and 6:15-7:15 pm, where each youth has about one hour of program time to complete homework with the help of a tutor.
- Experience working with youth of all ages in a professional setting. This includes: setting boundaries between youth, de-escalation and behavior management techniques, and the creation of appropriate and interesting educational activities.
- The ability to create a welcoming environment for volunteer tutors and youth alike.
- An understanding of structural racism and how it manifests in educational environments. A commitment to anti-racist strategies and experience working with youth and communities of color.
- The ability to effectively communicate verbally and through emails with volunteers and other program staff.
- Experience maintaining records and staying organized in a chaotic environment, ie tracking student grades and attendance.
- Patience and openness towards youth and volunteers.
- Ability to be flexible and intuitive, and to tutor youth of all ages if necessary.
- Experience working in nonprofits
- Experience working with immigrant/ refugee/ low-income communities
- Ability to be calm, positive, and adaptable to changing situations
- Track youth/volunteer attendance and snack levels daily
- Classroom/volunteer management
- Pair volunteers and students
- Tutor youth
- Create post-homework enrichment activities
- Room set-up and take-down
We believe diversity is critical to achieving our mission, and seek to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. HOAS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Minimum Education Required