Details: Salary will vary with experience, but will likely be in the mid to high $30s.
731 8th Street, S. E.
Barracks Row Main Street seeks an Events and Development Assistant
About us: Barracks Row Main Street works to preserve and enhance Capitol Hill’s historic 8th Street, SE, commercial corridor and to revitalize its business community. The group’s focus is the five blocks of 8th Street that stretch south from Pennsylvania Ave S.E. to the terminus of 8th Street at the Washington Navy Yard along M Street, S.E. We work extensively in small business retention and recruitment activities, we provide technical assistance to the small businesses on the corridor, and we operate an active façade improvement program. We also organize festivals, promotions and celebrations throughout the year for merchants and residents of the area, and are working on the redevelopment of a large public space at the northern end of our corridor.
About the job: Barracks Row Main Street seeks a highly organized, self-starting, tenacious and capable office assistant with incredible attention to detail to help with the day-to-day operations of a very small yet very busy non-profit organization. At least two years of experience in administrative or marketing work is required, and a BA or BS is strongly preferred. An interest in non-profit administration, event planning, fundraising / development, urban planning, marketing, graphic design, and / or small business assistance is also required.
Events and Development Assistant Job Description:
Reporting roughly half of the time to the Executive Director and half of the time to the Marketing Director, the new Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- The Assistant will be responsible for basic administrative tasks around the office, including but not limited to: filing, billing, meeting logistics, office supply inventory and ordering, phone skills etc.
- Keep an updated database of businesses by address, type, phone and email contact on 8th Street. This is the basis of the bi-annual Barracks Row Map- to be updated monthly; post changes to website.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, handle submission of complex grant reporting requirements to DC agencies, administrative data entry into Quickbooks and provide some support for general grant administration.
- The Assistant is often the first point of contact for visitors to the office and callers. Experience is customer service is a plus.
- Reporting to the Marketing Director, Assistant will provide primary administrative support for all Barracks Row Main Street events. This will involve occasional evening work. At least six times per year, work on weekend days will be required. Comp time is provided for those days. Ability to lift materials weighing up to 60lbs and carry it distances of up to one full block is also required.
- Assistant will be responsible for volunteer recruitment and volunteer management for all events.
- Assistant will often have to think on their feet to solve problems as they arise. A creative approach to problem-solving is a must, as is an assertive approach to doing whatever is necessary to get the job done.
- Assistant will also be responsible for permitting for all events – patience in dealing with DC agencies is a plus! Strong organization skills are key here as well.
- Ability to effectively use Formsite, Eventbrite and other event programs is required.
- Presently, the main Barracks Row Main Street events include:
- Culinary Education Crawl
- Annual Meeting
- Egg Hunt on 8th
- Taste of 8th
- Garden Party
- Fourth of July Parade
- Barracks Row Fall Festival
- Santa Arrives on 8th Street
Communications / Tech:
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Word and Excel required. FileMaker Pro experience strongly preferred. Quick to pick up new software a plus.
- Experience using the Google Office Suite is a plus
- Writing / editing experience is strongly preferred.
- Assistant will maintain the BRMS website (JOOMLA-based, though likely rebuilding with a different management system within a year) – website management experience preferred.
- Assistant will manage the BRMS social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram. Social media experience is required.
- Assist in the design and production of various marketing materials for the program, program events, and for local small businesses. Basic skills with Adobe InDesign preferred (if applicable, please send a PDF work sample of a project you have completed in InDesign), skills with Photoshop and Illustrator also a plus.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Admin will merge and mail the fundraising letters for the Annual Campaigns, and coordinate follow up with Annual Campaign donors. Knowledge of Microsoft Mail Merge is required.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Admin will follow up with Event Sponsors after the Executive Director has reached out with them to coordinate billing for sponsorships, provide event sponsor support, and send thank-you letters to donors. Knowledge of how to create professional invoices is a plus.
- Admin will also be responsible for managing some smaller fundraising activities, such as Do More 24 and #GivingTuesday, and potentially also generating leads for potential donors and event sponsors.
- Opportunities for capable individuals to engage in donor cultivation and development are also available.
- The Admin will also be responsible for special projects as assigned. Such projects may include the annual BRMS Business Owner Inventory, the Property Photo Inventory, coordination of Small Business Needs Assessments, developing and maintaining a streetscape conditions log, and writing / editing as needed. Other projects will be assigned from time to time.
Barracks Row Main Street is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply!
BRMS offers a benefits package that currently includes health insurance, dental, a generous 401k plan with employer matching, and paid vacation and sick leave, cell phone reimbursement, in addition to comp time as needed. Our standard office hours are 10:00am to 6:00pm at our offices on Capitol Hill. This is a full time position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send one single PDF with your cover letter, resume, and Adobe InDesign work sample (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Martin Smith, Executive Director. Please send ONLY one single PDF file containing all materials above to apply. Applications are due on May 1st.