Details: Commensurate with Experience
8323 Baldwin Street
The East Bay SPCA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to the welfare of dogs and cats in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals. The East Bay SPCA is one of the nation’s oldest humane organizations, in operation since 1874, and receives no funding from any national organizations. More information is available at www.eastbayspca.org.
General Position Description
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Development Manager supports all fundraising projects and activities, with particular emphasis on donor engagement, donor relations and special events. The Development Manager is responsible for supporting and developing activities to attract new donors and to retain and upgrade existing donors This position is essential to ensuring the optimization of acknowledgement, recognition and cultivation activities, communications and programs for donors and other key audiences.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Serve as central liaison between donors and the East Bay SPCA. Provide excellent customer service by accommodating donors’ special needs and requests as appropriate.
- Manage all donor relations activities including gift acknowledgements and other donor and prospect correspondence programs.
- Serve as lead staff in the successful planning, execution and follow up of East Bay SPCA events, including its annual Growl, Meow & Wine signature fundraising gala.
- Identify, submit and manage grant applications to corporations, foundations and other agencies for event sponsorships, in-kind donations and other East Bay SPCA funding needs.
- Work closely with Marketing team to ensure strategic messaging and brand compliance of all Development communications.
- Work closely with Database Administrator to ensure timely, accurate production of donor and prospect lists and reports. Accurately record and track all donor and prospect activity in donor database. Generate and manage weekly donor/prospect activity reports and monitor follow-up actions.
- Conduct donor and prospect research and produce confidential profiles and reports for staff and volunteer use.
- Coordinate ongoing public, donor, and volunteer relations;
- Serve as an ambassador for the East Bay SPCA at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional fundraising experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional event management experience, preferably in nonprofit fundraising.
- Excellent communication skills required, both verbally and in writing, with strong customer service orientation. Must have ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a wide variety of constituents.
- Accuracy and speed using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Must have advanced knowledge and high comfort level generating reports, budgets and performing data entry, list management, and mail merge.
- Database management experience desired. Knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software a plus.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with a high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent reading, writing, research and editing skills with impeccable attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic with initiative to creatively solve problems, improve efficiencies and exceed expectations.
- Must have transportation and availability to work some nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Experience or familiarity with animal welfare preferred.
- Must be comfortable working in a shelter environment and in close proximity to dogs and cats.
- Work is performed in an animal shelter with exposure to seasonal outdoor conditions.
- Must be comfortable working in close proximity to cats and dogs in a shelter environment. Animal waste contact, smells and visual exposure are prevalent.
- Noise exposure varies and often includes uncontrolled barking and other animal vocalizations.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodation.
The East Bay SPCA offers a wide range of benefits to full-time employees including full medical, dental, and life insurance, a 401K retirement plan, discounted veterinary care and more.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email current resume with cover letter to email@example.com, with “Development Manager” as the subject. No phone calls please.