Details: Hourly compensation commensurate with experience between $25 and $30/hour
190 Wethersfield Avenue
Hartford Food System, Hartford, Connecticut, is seeking a part-time Director of Development.
Since 1978, Hartford Food System has been dedicated to addressing problems of food security in Hartford. Our mission is to fight hunger and improve nutrition in our community and our goal is a healthy, culturally-responsive, just, resilient and sustainable food system that meets the needs of all community members. To help make this happen, we implement programs that improve access to nutritious and affordable food, we advocate and help build a robust and economically sound food system, and we promote responsible food policies at all levels of government. The work of HFS focuses on understanding and addressing the underlying causes of inadequate community access to healthy food. Our approach links the well-being of urban communities with sustainable agriculture, a more equitable food economy, and food justice. Our system-based perspective leads us to pursue different types of activities that touch on a broad range of food system elements to achieve our primary goals of reducing hunger, improving health and nutrition, and encouraging a sustainable and equitable food supply. Our activities are based in the following strategies: 1.) Increase access to non-emergency food outlets; 2.) Deepen the connection between consumers and the sources of healthy food; 3.) Increase community capacity to advocate for a healthy and just food system; 4.) Advance public policies to improve the, availability, affordability and quality of food.
The Director of Development will help fulfill the fundraising priorities of the organization. The successful candidate must be able to facilitate and manage all aspects of a comprehensive development program working closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. Although essential fundraising duties are divided among staff, most particularly with the Executive Director, the dedicated focus of a Development Director is required to successfully identify, cultivate, engage and steward HFS’s supporters, volunteers and donors. The Director must demonstrate a commitment to the mission and growth of HFS. The job is currently a part-time, flexible position projected to be 50% full time equivalent (20 hours per week), with the strong potential for increased hours as successful funding occurs. Some evening/weekend hours may be necessary to support events.
1. Implement and expand a comprehensive individual giving program that engages the Board of Directors and secures donors at both the major gift and grassroots levels. Expansion of current segments may include religious organization contributions, planned giving and workplace giving campaigns.
2. Execute a successful sponsorship program for HFS including developing levels of sponsorship and associated benefits, identifying prospective sponsors and partnering with the Board and Executive Director in securing sponsors.
3. Identify, support, and implement large and small cultivation events that provide funds and friends for Hartford Food System. These may include, among others, restaurant benefit nights, house parties with board members, and/or third-party events where HFS may partner and be a beneficiary. Work with board members and volunteers to support successful events.
4. Promote the organization through events and a range of communication strategies, including social media, monthly e-newsletters, press releases and community partner engagement.
5. Support the Executive Director, as time permits, in a grants management system including; identifying prospective new funders, preparing applications for grant funding from private and family foundations and corporations and preparing reports to meet funding requirements.
6. Provide fundraising training as needed in support of HFS volunteer/leadership development efforts, including those through the HFS Development Committee.
7. Facilitate staff engagement to assist in fundraising efforts which may include periodic trainings, staff meetings, or compilations or resources to enhance the fundraising efforts of all programs.
The Development Director will achieve these goals by supporting the work of the Board of Directors, Board Development Committee and Executive Director while at the same time implementing significant fundraising initiatives himself/herself. The position will be supported in database management, gift processing and online and social media by part-time administrative staff and/or by interns, as available.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
· 3 -5 years of demonstrated nonprofit fundraising experience, including donor relations, event planning, major gift fundraising and grant writing
· A successful track record of fundraising from a variety of sources, including individuals, foundations and corporations
· Experience and comfort developing and sustaining meaningful relationships with major donors, grant funders, board, staff, volunteers, community leaders, political leaders, businesspeople and other stakeholders
· Excellent writing skills, with proficiency in social media
· Strong organization skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities without compromising quality.
· Proficiency in computers for writing, design, excel and fundraising databases (HFS currently uses Neon CRM).
· Familiarity with Hartford and Capital Region a strong plus.
Work style and personal attributes:
· Commitment to mission and work of HFS.
· Relishes personal interaction, with individuals and groups.
· Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
· Works well independently and as a team contributor.
· Understands the needs, opportunities, and challenges of a mid-size nonprofit organization.
· Flexible and reliable.
· Consistent attendance.
· Highest professional integrity and adherence to the fundraising and donor code of ethics.
Paid time off
Minimum Education Required