622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
Reporting to the Director of IT Systems and Infrastructure for the Office of Alumni and Development (OAD), the Development Operations Engineer/System Engineer is responsible for managing infrastructure including web, file, and print servers, for the department as a whole. He or she will also partner closely with OAD’s Application Development team to implement and maintain secure operating environments for development, test, and production code and develop automation processes for continuous delivery/integration scenarios. He or she will work closely with end-users and team members to understand the requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions which are aligned with University strategies and security standards.
She or he will possess the ability to interact, develop, engineer, and communicate collaboratively with end-users, developers, vendors and partners. Late nights and weekends are required to insure 24x7 availability of systems.
Job responsibilities include:
● Tracks technical issues (servers and desktop), researches and implements solutions
● Design and implementation of applications’ build, release, deployment and configuration activities
● Prototyping, architecting, implementing/updating solutions, building and executing test plans
● Perform quality reviews, managing operations and triaging, as well as handling operational fixes
● Sets up group and group policies for various levels of permissions to windows servers. Ensures the performance of nightly backups of all servers on the OAD LAN and the availability of good backup data
● Install, test, and troubleshoot software on terminal servers, file servers, print servers, application servers, web servers
● Understand, implement, and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation
● Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems
● Implement and manage continuous delivery systems and methodologies
● Implement systems that are highly available, scalable, and self-healing
● Manage and maintain tools to automate operational processes
● Works closely with internal business partners to gather necessary requirements
● Other related duties as assigned by the Director of IT Systems and Infrastructure
Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent, including 3-5 years of experience.
Proficiency with code version tools such as SVN and Git. Familiarity with Content Management Systems, such as Drupal and WordPress, as well as familiarity with continuous delivery systems such as Jenkins.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Medical and dental coverage, tuition exemption, retirement contributions and more.
Minimum Education Required