Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking to hire a full-time Immigration Staff Attorney in the Greater DC Office. This is a one-year grant funded position with the option for renewal.
- Provide intake, advice and counseling, and direct legal representation to clients in immigration legal matters before the DHS, Immigration Courts and BIA within the scope of Tahirih’s mission
- Provide hands-on mentorship and training to pro bono attorneys who co-counsel Tahirih cases
- Prepare and conduct outreach and education programs on immigration law and domestic violence to stakeholder groups
- Represent Tahirih in coalition meetings; network and build relationships with like-minded organizations
- Maintain accurate data entry and record-keeping for grant-funded projects
- Contribute to grant proposals, reports and periodic communications pieces
- Supervise paralegal, and train and oversee legal interns
- Current bar membership in good standing in any state in the US or District of Columbia
- At least 2-5 years of experience representing immigrant women and/or girls in asylum, VAWA, T visa, and/or U visa cases before the DHS, Immigration Courts and BIA strongly preferred; candidates with exceptional clinical or internship experience may also be considered
- Strong substantive understanding of U.S. immigration law; candidates with family based immigration law and consular processing practice, are encouraged to apply
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and trauma
- Excellent legal analysis, written and oral advocacy and presentation skills
- Responsible, self-initiating, and focused, with proven ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team-based decision-making environment
- Experience designing trainings and presenting to legal and non-legal audiences
- Demonstrated ability to be a respected and effective representative among stakeholders
- Meticulous organizational habits with an ability to manage large amounts of information, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills; experience working with clients, staff and interns of diverse backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish
- Commitment to Tahirih’s foundational values and mission, and demonstrated commitment to legal services, public interest law, and/or social justice.
- Understanding of the law firm and pro bono culture a plus.
- Able to travel on occasion and attend functions from time to time outside regular business hours.
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 80 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.