4915 Saint Elmo Avenue
The Harwood Institute for Public Innovation is a nonpartisan, independent nonprofit that teaches, coaches and inspires people and organizations to solve pressing problems and change how communities work together. Founded in 1988, the Institute partners with some of the world's largest nonprofits, and their tools and frameworks have spread to all 50 states in the U.S., across Australia and Canada, and have been used by individuals in more than 40 countries worldwide.
We are seeking an experienced professional for the position of Manager of Accounting and Human Resources. The primary responsibility of this position is to address all accounting and financial matters for the Institute; additionally, he or she will also manage the Institute’s benefit providers, including healthcare, 403(b), insurance carriers and other providers as well as systems that support employee performance. The Manager of Accounting and Human Resources be responsible for monitoring the overall financial health of the organization and providing timely reports and information to executive management and the Institute’s Board of Directors.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, including: income statement, balance sheet, cash flow, forecast and budget-to-actual statements
- Prepare financial reports for quarterly board meetings
- Provide monthly reporting on status of A/P, A/R, and cash flow to EVP
- Complete annual 5500, MD Nonprofit and insurance filing
- Manage annual audit with outside firm
- File all additional financial and related reports as needed
- Prepare annual budget and contracts and grant agreements as needed and monitor revenues and expenses
- Review, process, and code weekly invoices and credit card statements – check against purchase orders, contracts and travel calendar
- Monitor and flag discrepancies in invoices/billing and follow-up with vendors when necessary
- Input, code and correct all revenues and expenses in QuickBooks
- Track and process A/R invoices and email or mail to partners upon completion of work or as dictated by contracts
- Schedule and manage payroll with payroll vendor
- Oversee expense reporting and reimbursement process for staff and contractors
- Oversee timesheet and leave reporting
- Managing technology vendors
- Ensuring employee email, Slack and other systems operate
- CPA with 3 or more years of direct experience doing nonprofit accounting and bookkeeping
- Ability and track record in executing both day-to-day bookkeeping and management
- accounting for a nonprofit with annual revenues of $1.5-$2 million.
- Experience using technology to streamline and automate accounting functions
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A results-oriented, “get it done,” positive attitude
This is a full-time position located on site at our headquarters in Bethesda, Md.
The Harwood Institute has a strong commitment to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team. We encourage women and minorities to apply. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 /year
Minimum Education Required