94-41 43rd Avenue
Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The Crime Victim Advocate Program (CVAP) is a joint program of Safe Horizon and the New York City Police Department (NYPD) that assign advocates to every police precinct and Police Service Area (PSA) citywide.
The Safe Horizon Victim Advocate partners with police personnel to provide outreach to victims who have filed reports to the precinct or PSA. The Victim Advocate works with all victims of crime who seek assistance from the NYPD with a specific focus for victims who have filed a report as a victim of a violent felony offense and those who have filed two or more police reports with the past 12 months. The crime victim advocate will also be available to work with victims of domestic violence who have filed reports to the precinct on an as needed basis.
Essential Job Functions:
- Attempt to reach by phone and mail victims who have filed reports with the precinct or PSA with a specific focus on victims of violent felony crimes and those victims who have filed reports two or more reports in the previous 12 months;
- Work with victims of crime who come to the precinct or PSA
- seeking assistance;
- Conduct home visits with officers and detectives to assist victims as needed;
- Provide information, referrals, and practical assistance to victims experiencing crime;
- Conduct client centered safety assessments and safety planning suited to the individual’s needs;
- Provide crisis intervention and supportive listening;
- Advocate with NYPD personnel that may include keeping a victim apprised of an NYPD investigation;
- Provide criminal justice advocacy that may include court accompaniment;
- Advocate for victims for public benefits they may be entitled to;
- Help with applying for compensation through the New York State Office of Victims Services (OVS);
- Coordinate community resources for crime victims;
- Provide information and referral for victims for services such as shelter, mental health treatment, medical care, and other entitlements;
- Provide emergency practical assistance for victims including transportation and food vouchers;
- Work collaboratively with police officers in order to effectively provide assistance to victims;
- Collect data, track the history of crimes, and prepare monthly reports;
- Perform data entry into a computerized record keeping system and maintain thorough, accurate, and timely case records and statistics;
- Advocate with Family and Criminal Court staff for victims;
- Conduct training with police personnel;
- Conduct community presentations;
- Attend relevant training, workshops and seminars;
- Work with other victims of domestic violence as needed; and perform other related tasks as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
Excellent interpersonal skills, be assertive and well organized
Demonstrate the ability to work independently and within a precinct or PSA setting
Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent training and experience. Graduate degree preferred
Two years’ experience in crime victim service delivery (or other relevant experience) preferred
Basic knowledge of crime victim and domestic violence issues
Knowledge of the police and criminal justice system helpful
· Basic understanding of computer and systems for managing case records
· Bilingual ability may be required to meet individual precinct/community linguistic needs
Bengali speaking candidates required.
· Flexibility working some evening and weekend hours
The starting rate for this position is $19.23 for 35 hours per week.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, and disabilities, as well citizen,
marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses
Minimum Education Required