Senior Executive Director of Communications and Development
Details: Annual salary commensurate with a non-profit Senior Level Director of Communications and Development in the Washington, DC area.
100 Maryland Avenue Northeast
District of Columbia
The General Board of Church & Society (GBCS) of The United Methodist Church is the social justice and public policy agency of the denomination headquartered in the United Methodist Building on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. GBCS is responsible for seeking the mandate of the United Methodist Church, the implementation of the Social Principles.
The GBCS is in search of a highly skilled, creative and energetic Senior Executive Director of Communications and Development. This person is expected to lead a team focused on building and shaping strategic communications and development for GBCS. The ideal candidate must have the ability to promote the unique voice and place of church and society for the United Methodist Church, ecumenical and coalition partners and the world.
The successful candidate must be a highly skilled and creative communicator with experience in leading communications, development and public relations teams. This person oversees communications and development utilizing administrative, management, planning and implementation skills. The Office of Communications and Development has oversight for development and communication relationships, data management, website, social and print media, and resources for internal UM audiences as well as public relationships.
Advancing and implementing the strategic plans in Communications and Development is a must. Excellent management, strong writing skills, maturity, resourcefulness, a collegial spirit with an energetic and creative team in a fast paced atmosphere is needed.
The successful candidate will continue to build strong relationships and coordinate with constituencies, church agencies, and partner organizations to promote and interpret the Church’s commitment to advocacy for justice.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Plans and coordinates the overall communications and media strategy for GBCS. Oversees internal and external media platforms for GBCS including the website and all social media platforms. Planning and coordination of print resources is an important part of the communications strategy.
2. Oversees planning and implementation of the development and relationship strategy with the General Secretary’s Office planning mailings, gatherings and events with constituents. Some travel is required.
3. Plans, coordinates and implements GBCS resources for United Methodist events, annual conferences, central conferences, and local churches. Strengthening relationships and resources by working with staff, constituents, UM boards and agencies and ecumenical and interfaith partners.
4. Supervises team and communicates effectively with staff, constituents, agencies, and partners.
5. Prepares, and manages budgets, staff work plans and evaluation processes.
6. Coordinates and produces e-newsletters, resources and materials to educate on contemporary social issues in the light of Christian faith, especially from the perspective of The United Methodist Church Social Principles and resolutions.
7. Fulfills the Board’s Disciplinary mandate and interprets and promotes the Social Principles to the United Methodist Church.
8. Creates religious and secular media publication strategies.
9. Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degrees in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations and knowledge of development or equivalent work experience
· Excellent writing skills
· Prefer 3-5 years of experience in strategic communications and/or development role with supervisory experience.
· Must be able to work effectively in a fast paced communications environment.
· Must be able to work in Washington, D.C.
Hiring Policy: The General Board of Church & Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Benefits offered include pension, paid vacation, sick leave, comprehensive medical, dental and life insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a full-time exempt position with 10-15 % travel.
Minimum Education Required