APCH has an exciting opportunity for an individual with a high degree of energy with a passion to make a difference in the community. We are seeking those looking to take their next step in their career path while serving the community.
Under the direction of the Associate Director of TYAS, the Civics and Community Engagement Coordinator (CCEC) implements programs and agency goals, REACH objectives, agency best practices and program efficiencies. The CCEC is responsible for co-visioning and implementing a program to expose, educate, and empower APCH teen and parent members in civic, social and economic issues, dynamics and opportunities in the community.
Job Title: Civics and Community Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Director - Teens & Young Adult Services
FLSA Status: 40 Hours, Non-exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in developing/planning a program that includes participation, advocacy and citizenship/stakeholder responsibilities in communities, county, state and federal government
- Assist members in developing understanding and values/intentions regarding civic life in the community
- Compile archival information regarding community issues and the program members’ civic activity in the community; build a compact Community Resource library at APCH
- Develop and foster relationships with external organizations and community partners in order to expand available resources and opportunities for members to engage with community issues and needs
- Develop and leverage connections to the South Central LA Community to develop opportunities for members to engage and address issues facing their community.
- Develop curriculum and experiential learning opportunities to develop an understanding of social justice issues, government processes, and the role of the engaged citizen.
- Develop relationships, access and internship opportunities with community leaders and public servants/elected officials
- Explore current community issues to educate and empower capacity building for members and families
- Expose members to careers and educational paths related to civics and community engagement.
- Facilitate and lead periodic classes and town hall meetings for members on campus
- Facilitate and lead regular evening and weekend meetings with members’ parents
- Facilitate classes/meetings and actions for Teen Leadership group
- Facilitate meetings/communications and structure for Parent Partners/Leadership Circle
- Involve members in maintaining APCH as a Polling Place for all elections
- Lead Voter Education and Voter Registration initiatives at APCH for members, families and the community
- Monitor and report on program progress, and create regular updates on program activities
- Plan and facilitate annual Stakeholders Circle meeting to engage APCH constituency in dialog regarding APCH and the community
- Prepare, lead and host community gatherings to explore and educate regarding important matters, issues, elections, etc. affecting the community
- Research and develop field trips and learning plans that include historical perspectives, community service projects, trips to seats of government, etc.; develop relevant collateral materials and secure related guest speakers
- Work under the Associate Director –Teens and Young Adult Services to successfully implement the goals as outlined in the organization’s Strategic Plan
- Overlap with and inform other APCH program departments as appropriate
- Attend all required program meetings (Department, Check-in with Supervisor, etc.) and attend public events related to community issues
- Prepare and submit all paperwork in a timely manner (Monthly reports, assessments, research, etc.)
- Bachelor of Arts
- Two years’ experience working with teen and adult population in instructional, community organizing, and/or project-based environments
- Familiarity with community organizing and outreach
- Familiarity with civics; specifically structures of local governments
- Demonstrates cultural-competence
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred
Must work well with diverse populations of employees and clients
Must be available to work weekends and/or evening hours